Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm going to lose some sleep at night when the pup comes home, but how long, on average, does it take for a pup to sleep through the night? Also, are there any sure fire ways to tell whether or not he is whining at night because he wants attention or if he needs to go potty?

I'm feeling prepared in all other ways ... the house is ready, the yard is ready, the kids are ready ... I feel like I'm forgetting something ...

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My puppies have always slept right next to me. I remember Rhys waking once at night and then without putting the light on, talking to him or anything, I scooped him out for a pee, he went right back inhis crate, and settled quick.

That's it, and he is my first of 4 subsequent labradors. Even my litter never woke me to take them out, and I am a light sleeper.

Don't make it fun for a pup to get up, and they won't.

If they're crying or restless, they have to pee.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. :) That's mostly what I thought ... crying = need to go. A friend of mine got a pup a month ago and her pup (while not a lab) hasn't slept through the night once. She keeps warning me of "weeks of no sleep" and that's not something I remembered from Cybil as a pup. She woke up the first few nights to pee (and she really had to go) and that was it.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I had a friend once who slept downstairs on the couch for the next year after she got a puppy because she thought she should get up everytime it moved and take it out to pee. The puppy was on the couch with her! I told her she's nuts! Mine were in a crate next to the bed, they only went out about once a night for a little while. It didn't take long for them to sleep through the night.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Samantha when does your puppy come home? How exciting!! I was just trying to remember today how often we took Jake out when he was a puppy :)

I think we went out at 11:00 pm before I went to bed, then for a week or so I took him out at 3 am, and got up at 7:00 am. The following week I just stopped to see how he did - he was fine. He never once whined in his crate - I was spoiled rotten and his breeder crate-trained him for us before we got him!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Orson pretty much slept through the night from day one. The few times he did wake was because he had to go potty. Tank slept through the night but we made the mistake of kenneling him downstairs and we slept upstairs. Getting him to go to sleep was a nightmare. Once we let him in bed with us no problems.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Samantha when does your puppy come home? How exciting!!
We are picking him up on May 28th, so only eight more sleeps! Hooray! :D Life is about to get crazy busy, but its going to be AWESOME.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
The first couple of nights we got him up to go potty, but he never cried once. Then we stopped getting him up, and he was fine. I was expecting him to cry at night, but it never happened.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
With Tal, I let him out about 3 AM also. He would whine right after being put in his crate the first couple of nights, but after a few minutes he dozed right off. Barney was born at the Foster mom's so he had been pretty well trained by the time I got him.

Good luck and how exciting! The one thing I never want to experience from a puppy again is those razor sharp teeth!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Abbey was a BIG whiner.. she still is, actually! ;)

Where are you planning on putting the crate? I made the mistake of putting Abbey downstairs at night, not with me in the bedroom, and she whined forEVER at night... so if I ever get another puppy, he/she will be in the crate in the bedroom.

How are you going to do the potty-training thing? I never tried it with Abbey, but a lot of people have suggested putting bells (like Christmas jingle bells) on the door and teaching the dog to hit the bells when he/she needs to go out.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I haven't had a new pup for 6 years now, and I'm sure I won't remember the "little details" either when I finally get a new puppy. I do recall getting up around 2am in the morning to let Emilu out of her crate to potty, but not having any trouble with her waking up more than that and wanting to go out to play. I would get up automatically because she was in the other room (no dogs in the bedroom), but I can't remember how long I did this.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He won't be in the bedroom ... its a standard rule in our house that no pets sleep in the bedrooms at night. He will be in the family room in his crate, which is where the cats (who adore dogs) sleep at night, so he won't be entirely alone. I will be able to hear him easily from my bedroom should he need out.

We didn't do bell potty training with Cybil, but we plan to do it with Dozer - which reminds me I need to get a bell. LOL

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I think it depends on the pup. Baloo had to go out at night once for the first couple weeks. We did the same as others, no lights or talking, just out to pee and right back in the crate. Kept his crate right beside my bed so I could hear him. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree that it depends on the pup. Cooper was 8 weeks and 18 lbs when we picked him up. We would take up his water around 7:30-8:00 and take him out at 11:00 and he woke us up at about 2:30 for the first week, then 4:00 the second week, then he made it til 5:30 when I got up. We never got him up, always waited for him to bark or whine to tell us he needed to go out. He was so easy to house train.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Samantha when does your puppy come home? How exciting!! I was just trying to remember today how often we took Jake out when he was a puppy :)

I think we went out at 11:00 pm before I went to bed, then for a week or so I took him out at 3 am, and got up at 7:00 am. The following week I just stopped to see how he did - he was fine. He never once whined in his crate - I was spoiled rotten and his breeder crate-trained him for us before we got him!
I just got my new one last friday and this is pretty much the schedule she's on. I'm usually up late and take her out a little before I go to bed, usually around midnight. Then she goes out again around 3 and then wakes up to go out and be fed at 6. So far the only whining she does is when she goes out and right after she goes back in her crate at 3... she wants to play but we've just been putting her back and going back to bed and after about 3 or 4 minutes of protesting she settles back in and goes to sleep.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts