Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father lived through the depression, in Scranton PA. He has always shared his stories of poverty, not having a bathing suit, and feeling lucky he could get the hand me downs from his 10 older brothers and sisters. He always insisted we not be wasteful, to save money, better to live frugally.

He calls here often, concerned about the boys' jobs, he asks if they're "still working". His concern is overwhelming, he remembers what it was like. He doesn't remember another time as bad as this since following the depression. Most of us here are too young to understand what he's feeling.

I watch the news every night, when I heard that 15,000 NYC teachers could be laid off I realized how bad things really are. NYCity-jobs...weren't they supposed to be forever? Even a union contract is null and void in times of "emergency". Firefighters, cops, it's not good anywhere. This is so scary.

Two of my three sons work in the finance world, both hear from economists, we still haven't bottomed out, they predict 2 more years of this.

The funny thing is that it's not the top dollar execs getting laid, it's the rest of us.

NYC Dep't of Ed recently signed a multi-billion dollar contract (with Maximus) to replace its existing "accountability" tool called "ARIS", this program tracks the progress of every student in NYC (over 1 million), and the progress of each school, it's supposed to make things transparent. Funny how the "news" keeps so quiet over this....

I wonder if it has anything to do with our Mayor, who practically owns the city.

G

·
0 Posts
Hard to say about your mayor, but tough times are here. My grandfather told me stories of how he would walk the railroad tracks picking up pieces of coal, just so he could heat his house. They didn't have Social Security, Welfare, or unemployment benefits in the last depression. If you were out of a job it was soup lines or starve to death.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Yep.. it is scary everywhere, I think. Michigan is horrible due to the auto industry.. my dad's been out of work since the beginning of December and he has some hopeful offers, but no one is hiring right now.. easy to understand why.

Luckily I'm living off of student loans, but I've been trying to find a part-time job up at school and it just isn't happening. Every business is hurting, so no one is hiring. Also, all of the people who had the good jobs got laid off and are taking all of the jobs that students would normally do, so it's really rough.. Again, I'm in Michigan, so it's extra horrible. :(

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
einsteins legacy said:
I watch the news every night, when I heard that 15,000 NYC teachers could be laid off I realized how bad things really are. NYCity-jobs...weren't they supposed to be forever? Even a union contract is null and void in times of "emergency". Firefighters, cops, it's not good anywhere. This is so scary.
It's tough out there and now it's hitting the virtually recession proof jobs. When we emerge from this we'll be the better for it. We've need to purge and clean the way we do business in this country and it takes an economy this bad to do it.

There is incredible waste in NYC " government jobs" I work with many highly paid NYC people with excellent benefit packages. What I find is the ratio of city employee to private employee is 2 to 1. There are at least two people to do the job that I do alone. Everyday I see people with the power of the union behind them sitting around ,refusing to do something when told and only come to life when overtime is involved. When you start matching salaries,benefits and work loads between private employers and unionized government employees, the scale tips to the "G" job as the better paying choice with the least amount of work and the most job security. Everybodies brother,cousin and good friend has a position of authority. I bet you could cut 25% of these gravy jobs and not affect a **** thing as far as service. The people left standing would have to actually work though.

Education might be different in NYC. I'm not involved with that. However my brother,sister,sister inlaws (X3) and niece are all teachers in NYS and they are the first to admit privately, that once tenured it is difficult to remove a bad teacher. Some of these teachers are grandfathered into some very nice contracts and have been teaching on auto pilot for 15 years.

I know by the published graduation rates for the school district I'm in, that something needs to be fixed. Our school graduates 75%. Sounds like a good number? Not really. We have less that 100 kids per grade. My school taxes rise 7-9% every year( I read the budget allocation each year and yes money goes to raises ). If I completed 75% of my responsibilities each year I would be fired. Obviously we aren't fixing the problem with money. The teachers typically earn 60 k for a 10 month year. 60 grand is a very good salary for our area. Engineers make about 50K.

Granted times are tough and there are many good people who are losing their jobs, but there is a lot of redundancy in many government agencies that can be eliminated. It can no longer be looked at with a smirk and a "Oh Well" attitude. This kind of waste is no longer acceptable.

Before everyone with a G job comes flying out of the woodwork to tell me that they get paid peanuts, work a gazzilion hours,and are understaffed etc. I understand there are certain jobs that pay better privately. However even during good times the civil service jobs were always filled. Couldn't be that bad. Think for a minute and match your job against a private sector job and see where you sit.My company loses a lot of good employees to government agencies every year. Hell we kid ourselves that we're the training program for one particular agency. These people don't jump the fence for low pay, longer hours,crappy benefits and more work.

Times are tough and it doesn't look like a quick fix is on the horizon. Hard working people are going to lose their jobs. People are going to lose their homes. It's inevitable. Maybe we won't be so quick to call in sick because the weather is nice or the dog puked. Maybe we'll realize that 5 dollars is too much for a cup of coffee. Just maybe we'll understand that we can put a fender on a car for less than 80 grand a year and 5 weeks vacation.

The old saying goes; If you want to get someone's attention. Hit them in the wallet.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Its the same over here im afraid, everyday on the news companies have closed down, thousands have been laid off and everyone is looking for work. But what really grates on me is that they are flying people over from Poland to do British work, not giving the british a chance and using these people as they are cheaper....the credit crunch has hit :no:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
kal3idoscope said:
Yep.. it is scary everywhere, I think. Michigan is horrible due to the auto industry.. my dad's been out of work since the beginning of December and he has some hopeful offers, but no one is hiring right now.. easy to understand why.

Luckily I'm living off of student loans, but I've been trying to find a part-time job up at school and it just isn't happening. Every business is hurting, so no one is hiring. Also, all of the people who had the good jobs got laid off and are taking all of the jobs that students would normally do, so it's really rough.. Again, I'm in Michigan, so it's extra horrible. :(
So very true, Justine. Bill has not had a single call or even positive email since he was laid off in November. He emails resumes every day, is on many job sites and placement lists like Monster, has contacted all the headhunters he knows, and I have mailed out almost 2 dozen resumes for him. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip. It really sucks.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
It is bad everywhere. My DIL just lost her job with Bank of NY Mellon after 15 yeras. She was an anlyst & she said once they merged they started out sourcing jobs, then her department was not getting the projects they used to. She managed to stay through two rounds of downsizing. I feel bad for young families. She went to a good college and when she got the job at mellon in Pittsburgh, she thought she was settled.
Nothing is secure in today's economy.
I am a nurse & we just heard several hospitals are laying off. A few small hospitals have closed. :( Scary times.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
AmazonGold said:
kal3idoscope said:

So very true, Justine. Bill has not had a single call or even positive email since he was laid off in November. He emails resumes every day, is on many job sites and placement lists like Monster, has contacted all the headhunters he knows, and I have mailed out almost 2 dozen resumes for him. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip. It really sucks.
Was Bill working in automotive, too, I'm guessing? It's scary how many people are just barely scraping by.. :no: My mom's in the auto industry, too, which is scary as well, since she could soon be out of a job if things keep going downhill. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts