Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rush and Boo have been scratching like crazy the last couple of days. I got the humidifier up and running hoping that it will help us all. I itch too! :rolleyes: What if anything do you all do for itchy skin on the dogs? I checked for fleas, redness, blotches, anything that would indicate a reason and come up with nothing. Since the house has gotten pretty dry and and static charged & my skin has gotten itchy I hopefully assume it's the lack of humidity in the air. Yesterday it seemed a tad better but I'd be open to suggestions on how to help their skin for the winter. Supplements?
Thanks everyone. (I need a back scratcher here at work:D)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Fish oil helps a great deal with simple dry skin. I put my two on it in the winter and it makes a big difference. Which reminds me I need to go and get some.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Welcome to my world! Caleb started scratching like crazy again around the beginning of December (he did the same thing last year). In his case, I'm not so sure it's dry air from the heat, although that could be part of it. We have hotwater baseboard, and I'm not seeing dandruff. He's licking his feet like crazy, and his butt. Plus scratching all over. I just told Ken last night that I'm really beginning to think the Stink Pot is allergic to dust.

ETA- Caleb gets 1,000 mg Salmon Oil, 1,000 mg vitamin C and about 1/4 cup of berries every day, along with a raw egg and a can of sardines once a week (on different days).

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We are all itchier in the winter too. I believe it's having heat on in the house. We all take fish oil, including the dogs. Sometimes I even drizzle a little olive oil on their food.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
For those of you that use fish oil, how much do you give and do you just give orally? The fish oil supplements that I have are HUGE! I don't know if Bauer would take it or not.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Eddie is awful at this time of the year. Last year he wasn't so bad, this year because it is colder, he is much worse. I have him on Zyrtec, as he does have skin allergies, and he gets 2 12 mg fish oil capsules a day. The humidifier doens't work on him for some reason.

We give the fish oil capsules to Fanny in her food, and down they go. Eddie has to have his with peanut butter. He won't eat them in his food, we find them all over the place, but put a dab of peanut butter on it and gulp! All gone!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I'll get some right after Christmas. I'm not going to a store in the next couple of days, except the grocery tomorrow morning around 8. After that, I'll park my butt at home and stay. We have a winter storm watch out now for the next couple of days. Oh joy, just in time for Christmas.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Thanks everyone, I'll get some right after Christmas. I'm not going to a store in the next couple of days, except the grocery tomorrow morning around 8...
Grab some "human" Salmon oil capsuls while you're at the grocery store. Caleb gets 1,000 mg daily (one capsule).

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
For those of you that use fish oil, how much do you give and do you just give orally? The fish oil supplements that I have are HUGE! I don't know if Bauer would take it or not.
We give 3,000 mg a day (3 pills). Seems like a lot, but the vet said this is the dosage it takes to really be beneficial for their weight.

Anyway, we just drop them in the food and they're gone.

I can't imagine...the thought of a pill that big makes me gag!

I've also heard coconut oil can be really great for itchy skin. But it doesn't have the other health benefits that fish oil does, so we've been sticking with fish oil.

Simon is always kind of itchy. But it does seem to be a little better this winter at the higher dose of fish oil, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
We give 3,000 mg a day (3 pills). Seems like a lot, but the vet said this is the dosage it takes to really be beneficial for their weight...
Hmm, makes me wonder if giving Caleb more would help. How much do the boys weigh?

...Anyway, we just drop them in the food and they're gone...
DUH! That's what I forgot to mention! I do the same thing. Although Caleb will also take them right out of my hand, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts