Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crisp air, sun shining, birds singing, wildlife scurrying around, and me & Angus alone running the trail. One other runner/air boxing guy. I hope nothing spoils my high today =)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Sounds like the perfect morning. :) Do you use a regular leash when you run with Angus? I have been, but it feels awkward . . . like I can't move my arm enough. I ordered a running leash that should be here today; I might look like a dork but I hope it feels less awkward.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I saw a woman the other day running with two labs attached to one of those leashes that goes around your waste. Well she stumbled and the dogs kept running so she was pulled flat on her face! I went over to see if she was ok which she was, just very embarrassed.
Great . . . now I have that to look forward to. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the perfect morning. :) Do you use a regular leash when you run with Angus? I have been, but it feels awkward . . . like I can't move my arm enough. I ordered a running leash that should be here today; I might look like a dork but I hope it feels less awkward.
I just use my leather 6 foot leash when we run. He runs along side my right leg, so I have unlimited mobility. Some trails are off leash, which is even better. =)
Post a review of your new leash!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He runs on your right and not on your left?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He runs on your right and not on your left?
Yep. I am right handed, so I loop the leash around my right wrist. I do not hold it with my hand, i can't run with something in my hands. That way I have control if he decides to take off after some "nature". He'd yank my left out of the socket.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I just use my leather 6 foot leash when we run. He runs along side my right leg, so I have unlimited mobility. Some trails are off leash, which is even better. =)
Post a review of your new leash!
I have been using a 6 ft. leash too, but I think Bauer runs too close to me (he is literally touching me most of the time). If I hang on to the end of the leash, the slack is hanging all over him, hitting him in the face or laying on his back. If I make a big loop in it to take up the slack, I feel like I am jerking him around when I move my arm. Off-leash would be better, but we don't have any off-leash trails around us (most of them don't allow dogs at all). I will post a review, I hope it works out.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yep. I am right handed, so I loop the leash around my right wrist. I do not hold it with my hand, i can't run with something in my hands. That way I have control if he decides to take off after some "nature". He'd yank my left out of the socket.
I'm only asking because when I learned and taught my guys "heel", they are to heel to my left. I hold the leash in my right hand. I can see your way when running though....

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been using a 6 ft. leash too, but I think Bauer runs too close to me (he is literally touching me most of the time). If I hang on to the end of the leash, the slack is hanging all over him, hitting him in the face or laying on his back. If I make a big loop in it to take up the slack, I feel like I am jerking him around when I move my arm. Off-leash would be better, but we don't have any off-leash trails around us (most of them don't allow dogs at all). I will post a review, I hope it works out.
That's key, Angus runs a few feet to my right, alongside me, so the slack isn't really an issue. But sometimes I do have to pull him close if there are a lot of people around, then I run with the slack in my hand, which is a pain. I don't let him run too close too me because I am nervous I'll trip over him, or he'll cross my path .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts