Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kacey is terrified of the vet's office. But then, she's fairly skittish in general. She huddles up as tightly against me as she can, sometimes hiding under the chair, and the vet has to crawl around on the floor - an easy-does-it, don't-worry-I'll-come-to-you approach.

They're very good about it (well, except for the last vet, who's not there anymore, that told Jason we shouldn't let her act that way.) I feel badly, but how DO we keep her from acting that way?

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Both of mine LOVE the vet. The first dogs I have ever had who act like they just arrived at a party when they go to the vet. Wiggle butt, have to go give everyone a hug, get cookies, go see the rescue kitties and get their nose smacked...

Diesel has spent quite a few days there *all day* when his diabetes was not stable so he thinks it's a spa or something.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Nope. So far he's not. He does hate the scale though.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Buffy is terrified the moment we arrive at the check in counter. Her whole body shakes and her legs tremble like I've never seen before. She tries to hide behind me and under the chairs too.

What's weird is that I took her to a whole new clinic last week and sure enough, she was shaking when we walked in the door. She had never been there before, yet knew it was a "scary place". I keep thinking maybe she smells the illness of the other pets, she's very sensitive the way it is.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
My two LOVE it there. As soon as we get there Bogey is just a big, bouncy, drooling mess...:D.

It might help if you give her treats while your there? Give her something to focus on, she might even learn to like it ;)

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I've never had a problem with Abbey at the vet's - the second she walks in the door she goes into "OMG A PERSON/DOG/CAT/ANIMAL!!!!! AHHH LET'S GO SAY HI!!!!!!" and is a total wiggle butt.

Kolby is good, too.. he just wants attention and pets! :)

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Gracie never minded as a young pup...then she was spayed a 6 months and ever since then she does not like it. It is a struggle to get her in the door and then another struggle to get her in the office. Lola still is little, so far so good.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer loves it, until we get into the actual "room". He is fine in the waiting room, loves seeing all of the other animals and people, loves having his named called, and loves greeting the vet. As soon as we get to the "room" all bets are off. He will put his paws against the door frame trying to stay in the hallway. As soon as we leave the "room", he is fine again.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Nope, I think Sammi thinks it a dog park, she doesn't understand why she cant just go and play:D

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Sadie hates the vet's office...always has. I remember the first time I took her she pooped & peed on the examining table!!

One time I had to drag her through the door...how embarrassing. She almost got the best of me and the next day my arms hurt. She also expressed her anal glands several times...once on DH :D

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Not too bad.
Ruger absolutely LOVES our vet (she does agility with me, and Ruger loves her at shows too).
Magnum and Remington are okay at the vet.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Willy acts the same way, really nervous, tries to get under the chair. Libby loves the world doesn't matter who you are or where you are.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Into the parking lot. Happy anticipatation.
Out of the car. Lets go there are treats in there.
Into the waiting room. Wow! Other dogs. time to sniff. Okay! Okay! I'll get on the scale, but I get to play with the GR as soon as you read the numbers.
Into the 'Treatment Room'. More invesigation. Hi! Vet Tech! Let me give you a kiss. There! Where is my treat?
In comes the vet! Under the table. DAD!!! You didn't tell me SHE was here again. She pokes me, puts stuff in my eye, has someone poke around in my butt, tries to make me pee and when I won't has someone else go inside me to get it. NO! I won't come out. She won't even give me a treat until she gets done torturing me.

And that is the process 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
all of mine seem to love her...she's been zoe and woody's vet from puppyhood and the others from the day i adopted them. even jax who has had some rough experiences at the vet gets all waggy going. zoe just hates the weight machine; but don't we all! ;)
woody has gotten shy as he has gotten older...very cautious of everything.

melissa; is it only the vet or other strange places she goes? if so, it would just mean getting her out to socialize more.

but if the smells at the vet are to a dog anything like hospital smells are to us; i can totally understand!

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Are you kidding? Caleb thinks the vet is his best friend. But then again, he thinks everyone is his best friend. LOL Now, Mick, OTOH, was very fearful of people he didn't know when he was young. All it took was just one visit to the vet we use now (we went to a different one until he was about 8 months old), and he couldn't wait to get in the door. Honestly, the only time Mick ever pulled/dragged me was when he went to the vet. He couldn't wait to get in the door, then tried to open the exam room doors, too.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
All three of mine love the vet. She gets down on the floor with them. They go happily in the back with her or the techs to get blood drawn. They always give her big sloppy kisses. :D

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Rowdy loves to go, maybe because she calls him Mr. Rowdy.;) She gives him a shot, he gives her a kiss. Makes me mad also, she or the tech can trim his toenails, no problem, at home it can almost turn into a fight I can't win.:eek:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
My 2 LOVE the vet office and everything about it. They charge in, greet all people, let dogs know who is boss, check out the rescue kitties, and even sit nicely on the scales (although the first time they got a new scales the dogs were scared to death to sit on it) They love the exam room, the vet techs and the vets. They never seem to notice getting shots or anything. They are VERY interested in what's going on past the "other door" in the room and would love to get back there and check everything out. They only time Emilu didn't want to go back to see them was when I was trying to breed her and had to keep taking her in to get her hormone levels checked - about the third time she literally "put on the brakes" when the vet tech tried to take her back.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts