Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know...friends and neighbors, or family who just like to pop-in to say 'hi'?
Is your house always ready for that? Mine is definitely NOT! I get so embarrassed if someone comes by and there is dog hair tumbleweeds flying about. Or the hair on the sofa. Or sometime that ever present wet dog smell we've had lately, thanks to the abundant amount of rain here. :rolleyes:

My house is always neat and uncluttered, but not always clean. I do a once-over cleaning on Saturdays, and will usually end up vacuuming again around the middle of the week.

I need notice when someone is coming over! I will run around and vacuum again, dust the obvious things like the coffee table, light candles, etc. I can't stand pop-in people! It stresses me out, big time!! Thankfully, the pop-ins we get most often are my husbands buddies, and they will just come in the front door and out the side door to the deck.

How about you?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I don't know. I rarely hold others to the same standards that I do myself. I pop in on people and don't think their place looks bad, when they are terribly embarrassed, picking up & wiping up.

I'm the same way. Steve always asks if the Queen is coming for a visit, lol! I am more embarassed that some things still need work or are in transition (painting, a ding in a wall, a piece of baeboard that needs to be replaced, etc. )

It's always clean (well, the kitchen & bathroom especially, maybe not the windows & such), I am obsessive about that, but there is always tidying to do, and in summer especially it is near impossible to keep the floors mark-free.

I totally put too much pressure on myself, and I know that. Steve says I need to just relax & enjoy the company instead of worrying that the place doesn't look "good enough". We are still in our "starter home", while many friends have moved on to their second home...the one you do more to & put better stuff in, lol! Even when my house is a sparlking and neat as it can be, I am still self-conscious about it. Pathetic, huh?

Better to have the friends than a great house with no company, I guess. (I'll take both though, is that ok? :) )

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Definitely not. I've often told my friends if they pop in, they'll have to stand on the porch. =) The thing is, I know it's not as bad as I think it is, but I would still be mortified. I'd have to vacuum within the hour before someone came over or there would be hair everywhere. Otis is shedding terribly. I'm actually kind of worried about it.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Nope. Mostly due to dog hair, and the piles of paper that I keep on the kitchen island. I keep telling myself to stop piling mail there, but haven't stopped yet.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otis is shedding terribly. I'm actually kind of worried about it.
More than usual?

I totally put too much pressure on myself, and I know that. Steve says I need to just relax & enjoy the company instead of worrying that the place doesn't look "good enough".
That.

I pop in on people and don't think their place looks bad, when they are terribly embarrassed, picking up & wiping up.
What I do notice is clutter. A friend of mine has pop-ins everyday, as well as parties a couple of times a month. Her entire kitchen counter is covered with stuff. As is the stove and the kitchen table. I mean COVERED. It makes me want to chew my own leg off, I can't handle clutter!!
How can someone live like that? :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
For the most part I'm good to go. Bathroom floor now has a few kitty litter sprinkles all the time but too bad. It goes with the territory.

People who would pop in on me don't expect sterile or Taj Mahal standards. :)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
NO! My house is such a mess right now! The dog hair is the worst, but also stuff is strewn about. To make matters worse - I'M not drop in ready either. I just got out of my PJ's. :)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
More than usual?
Yes. I'm hoping it's because he was in the kennel for 10 days while we were on vacation and while they do have A/C in the interior portion, he's outside more than usual and it jump-started the shedding. You can tell where he's laid in the floor during the day because that section of the carpet is tinged black with all the hair that's fallen off of him.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's probably what it is, Melis. :)

The other thing is, when my place isn't **** n' span, the horrible livingroom floors are way more noticeable. :eek:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Never! Clutter on the counters, dog hair on the carpet. If you "pop in" here, you'd better be coming to see me and not my house! ;)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Pop on in and you get what is there. Call in advnace and its major cleanup party for DW and I.

Hmmmm! I prefer you don't call and just pop in.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
NO my house is a wreck right now. I swear I try to clean but it just doesn't seem to help. Mainly it's clutter both my fault and DH's we both just come in and pile stuff on the table or counter and then it doesn't get put away. Mom is coming down on Wednesday to help me clean up really good once. I just can't keep up with it all with working full time, Crazy Mocha, and Aubrey getting into everything. Plus when I'm home I want to spend time with Aubrey since I only have a few hours in the evenings before she goes to bed.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I spent 20 years living in military housing and keeping everything so clean you could eat off my floors. I still have to keep thing neat and orderly, but I am more lax now about the cleaning part. This summer I had my son and granddaughter spend 2 1/2 weeks, they left and my son, daughter in-law and granddaughter came for a week because of their well acting up, then they left and next day sister in-law, niece and her boyfriend came for a week. Saturday I had 71 people here for lunch and dinner. EVERYONE LEFT THIS MORNING!!!! I am running around like my head is chopped off trying to get my house back in order. I stress badly when things aren't in the proper place.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy crap, Linda!! I hope the 71 lunch & dinner guests was a BYO event!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
pop-inners are a pet peeve of mine.. hate it.. that being said, it's never gross, but untidy, sure.. and fur.. well..it is what it is, really.. i usually force pop-inners to sit at the kitchen table, never on the couch..

two couch dogs means nobody will ever be able to sit on my couch again.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts