Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so lola got spayed yesterday and she was a bit sick and she didn't want to eat. today she feels better but still doesn't want to eat. is it normal after the surgery? how long until shes ready to eat? if anyone has gone through this

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I know when apollo was neutered and my cat (roxie may) was spayed, they didn't eat for a while after the procedure. I think they were nauseous. They came around and ate when they were ready though.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
hmm. I would call your vet just to give you peace of mind.

Zoe ate after all of her surgeries. (I mean like right after I brought her home. What a piglet. I had to feed her in small portions)

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
We brought Abby home the same day she was spayed around 4:30. The vet said no water until 9 p.m. & not to feed her until the morning. She was pretty sleepy that day anyway. She ate in the morning.

You can check with your vet so you can feel better about Lola.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i will call i mean she was sick after cause of the anastesia(SP) so she threw up a alot but after about an hour or so she stop shes been drinking water fine today shes ok just been laying down. maybe she still feels out of it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i just called my g/f and she has been eating treats so thats a good sign. but one other thing shes started to lick it and scratch it what can i do about that. theres someone watching her but what about when shes asleep in her crate. how do we go about that?

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I replied in your other post. You don't want to have her licking her incision. Can you call your vet & get an Elizabethan collar?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Sundance, unfortunately, has slept several nights in his Elizabethan collar thanks to his allergies. He managed to get comfy by sleeping on his side or with his head on his paws without any trouble. I'm sure Lola could, too.

Sounds like she had a bit of a tough time with the anesthesia, poor girl.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i know i feel bad for her. when i look at her face it makes me wanna cry. ok thanks good to know but did your dog sleep outside the crate or inside with it on

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Zoe slept w/her e-collar in her large crate. She was fine.

Hope Lola feels better soon.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Try giving her a little boiled chicken and rice for her first meal, that is what our vet had us do after Kira was spayed bcs it is gentle on the tummy.

If you can't get an e-collar at short notice, or don't want her to sleep in it, you can try wrapping a sheet or towel around her abdomen where the incision is. Or you can make a temporary e-collar by cutting a hole in the bottom of a plastic bucket to fit around her neck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea thanks everyone well when i got she was fine she ate her food. i bought a e-collar and it doesn't seem to bother her so we are good thanks everyone for the help

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
You can also put a t-shirt on her until you can get a collar.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WeHeartLabs said:
I'm glad Lola is feeling better and ate. How did she sleep last night?
she slept good. i let her sleep out of her crate last night so she was ok. its only till friday then the stiches come off so she should be good for another week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts