Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will NOT let you pet him...period. The only time you can is when he's SOO sleepy he doesn't have the energy to move away.

He never has been a real big cuddler, but as of late, if you try to pet his head he will rare his head back and try to lick your hand or try to grab it with his mouth. If you come up to him and try to pet him on his back or something, he'll just pull away. Its kinda demoralizing! We both enjoy being able to love on Ty, but he always acts like "Don't touch me!".

When he was 3-4 months he'd hop up on the couch every now and then and lay down next to you. It was great!! Nowadays, i'll scoop him up when he's passed smooth out and lay him next to me...he'll tolerate it for a bit then he'll jump up and leave.

Other people try to pet him and he just does the same, he'll flail his head around and just try to lick. ::)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
How old is he now? They do go through a "fear period" at some point up to about a year old.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's almost 7 months. yeah he never was real affectionate...but definitely alot more than now. The only affection he shows is extreme body wagging when we get home...and excessive licking (if thats even a sign of affection...). You can't touch him (except for the occasional butt scratch he enjoys..), he just wants to lick/knibble on your hands. And BTW, we don't let him nibble and i'm trying to get him to stop licking...because its starting to get pretty annoying!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
At 4 - 8 months, can be the adolescent testing stage, and ad 6 - 13 months can be their second fear imprint period.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Aawww...it might just be a stage, but he may not be a real affectionate fella. Tucker's like that too, a lot of times....doesn't want to be petted. I find that when we're playing together, or doing things together, he's more affectionate.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It could be a stage or it could be him.

Petey has never been really affectionate. He enjoys interacting with us, retrieving, working, that sort of stuff but he only likes a good rub down every once in a while. It's up to him really. We will try ot give him a nice scratch and he will give us a look like, "I didn't ask for this so don't bother." He is more affectionate with the kids than us but not if they are petting him. He will lay on the floor so they can rest their head on him or swing an arm around his neck but nothing more.

Indi is the complete opposite and she can get pretty annoying. I love cuddling with her and petting her but for her a 7 hour tummy rub is still not enough and she will pester you for another 14 hours of tummy rubs. She likes to do the licking thing and we have her "conditioned" tha tif she is too pushy she doesn't give in so now she will come up, sit beside you, give you her, "life is so hard" look and then we will pet her but only if she sits nice before hand. I always feel mean but we realized something had to be done when she would bury her head between me and the kids just to get all the attention. We don't mind if she cuddles up after she asks but she needs to ask first by sitting beside us.

I probably sound crazy LOL.

Good luck with it and the licking. The licking is the next stage from nipping. Sort of a nipping is not ok so I will lick and then some dogs grow out of both. I know Petey did.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Our dog Sam loves us more than anything, but it's practically impossible to pet him. Any move we make towards him, he thinks we are going to play and he jumps up. He'll be five this year and just lately he will sit by us for a bit and let us pet him. He does like to be petted in the morning though (after he squishes himself between us in bed). Sam follows us everywhere and won't let us out of his sight.

Our other dog Bodie is much more independent and spends a lot of time alone (his choice), but he loves to get pets and cuddles. He'll come sit with us for an hour and get hugs and scratches and give us lots of kisses, then go lay in another room by himself for the rest of the night.

Not sure what's going on with your guy, but with ours, it's just different personalities. Maybe yours is more like our Sam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts