Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I adopted a 5 week old so called white German Shepherd from the Houston SPCA. I am not very familiar with German Shepherds, but I had my doubts that this indeed was a Shepherd. In my opinion, she looks more like a yellow lab, but I'm not familiar with lab puppies either so just a guess :? I took her to the vet, and she thinks the snout and coat are not that of a lab, and we will just have to wait and see as she gets older. Poor baby was only 4/5 weeks when she got spade! Is it just me, or is that insanely young? Her incision is not doing well either, it's not healing properly. I can see some raw skin, almost like its opening up again, and pushing out from the inside. Took her to the vet, but neither the SPCA or my vet seem to be worried about it. I managed to convince my vet to give me some antibiotics for it though.

I'm going to attempt to attach some pictures. Please let me know your thoughts! If you see any traits or characteristics of a Lab, or any other breed for that matter. She's such a sweet little girl! Thanks for your thoughts! Any suggestions on puppy training is welcome too! It's been a while since I've had a baby

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
What a cutie! She looks lab like to me... maybe a mix?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
She looks a lot like a lab, maybe lab mix.
I'm shocked that the shelter let her go so young. Do you know if she was in with mom and litter-mates?
By the way, she's really adorable! :)
Hope she heals up quickly.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Looks like a Lab mix. Is that a flea collar on her? IMO - she is too young for pesticides. She is SO young to have been separated from the litter - did something happen to her mother?

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Definitely looks like a lab or lab mix to me! Whatever she is, she sure is a cutie! The neutering a 4/5 weeks is so young. I understand the position of shelters but that young? That makes no sense to me, but that is just my opinion. Good luck with your new little one, I hope you have many happy years together.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh, possibly some other breed in there but I see mostly Lab. Love the little dip of pale on the tip of her tail! She appears charming and has a lovely face. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks yall, she is a cutie and a sweetheart! No, it's not a flea collar. It was just the collar that the SPCA put on her with a number, to tell her and her litter mates apart. Not much information was given to me about her other than the litter of puppies was an owner surrender. I assumed that I would be returning for her when she was at least 8 weeks old, but they told me to take her immediately. I agree that it was to young to separate her from the litter, but her brother and sister were taken just shortly after, so she wouldn't have had anyone. Now I'm dealing with the consequences of a puppy that doesn't realize how painful her bite is, because she didn't have the chance to experience it with her litter. I'm just wondering if they told me German Shepherd because they saw the mother, or if it was just a random guess.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Well, thank you for taking her in & coming here to ask questions. Though I am shocked that an organization like the SPCA could be so negligent/ignorant. She looks more Lab than Shep, either way she is a cutie! Hope she heals up ok. Keep us posted on her progress.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
probably a mix of their "guess" and what the owner "said". possibly one of the parents was part shepherd but the pup looks labby (though harder to say at that age). Definitely look into things like puppy kindergarden to improve her socialization and be patient with her as some things may take longer given she is younger (like the not biting thing)

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
She is adorable. Thank-you for taking her in. She looks like a lab/lab mix. I agree, she was so young to be spayed. You can teach her "no bite" but like you said, she didn't have her littermates or mom to help. She is lucky to have you. Definately post more pictures. We love puppy pictures.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
If you know someone with an adult female dog it MAY help some with her socialization issues due to the premature separation.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
OMG, what a cutie pie! I see a lab mix.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The poor little girl has been though so much for a puppy so young. I am glad she has you. I understand the shelter's concern about spaying and neutering, but boy that is so young! She is a precious little girl. She looks like a labby cross to me. Time will tell as she gets bigger. Whatever she is, she is a darling!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on Mia

Poor Mia has been through so much, and now the vet has confirmed that she has a terrible virus attacking her lungs. :( He believes that if it's what he thinks it is, that she doesn't have a very good chance of survival. So I have been told to prepare myself. I have been aggravating the vets office with my constant demand of attention for Mia. First with an overall wellness exam, then taking her back for her sloppy incision and a plea for antibiotics. Then going back for some dewormer for the worms I found. THEN for the nasal discharge and coughing I started to hear. I think they thought I was crazy, and I had to call back many times to demand to be seen today! My poor baby can't catch a break. I'm devastated. It breaks my heart to see her hacking away. She's on 4 different medications now. 3 of which are antibiotics, and the other which is a cough suppressant. I will not be using the cough suppressant, because from my understand its her bodies natural way of expelling the "bad stuff". Vet said it was so I could get some sleep. Like I will be getting very much regardless of the coughing! Thats my last concern. Orbax is one of the antibiotics she's taking, I am a bit concerned about. From my research, it is strictly prohibited from growing puppies. And Mia just being 6/7 weeks is growing everyday! But I assume the risks outweigh the benefit...

Please keep Mia in your prayers. I know she can fight this. She has come too far not to win this battle.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 20 of 51 Posts