Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...without having to pay? My friend is being harassed via text message by someone in Texas. They seem to know a lot of personal info about her and she doesn't know anyone in Texas, neither has she ever been there.

??????

She is calling Verizon to block the number, but she still wants to know who this is and try to figure out what's going on. Everything I've looked up you have to pay some $ to get any info, and even then, how do you know you will get the name of the person?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, tried that. :-\ Since it's coming from a cell phone, all they give is the location and the service provider, but no other info. Other pages we've tried looking say you can get more info if you pay $15 or so.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
My sister paid the $15 to have someone looked up and it came back wrong. They could only give her a first name and said she could pay more to get an out of state number. She raised cane and got her $15 back.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My sister paid the $15 to have someone looked up and it came back wrong. They could only give her a first name and said she could pay more to get an out of state number. She raised cane and got her $15 back.
Yeah, I think that's why my friend is hesitant to do it. I don't think I would either, especially since it sounds like they give you only a fraction of the info you want anyway. :-\

She's gotten 20 texts from this person, she's repeatedly told him to stop, shut off her phone, etc. but there are always more messages waiting. It's getting creepy. They knew where she lived and a bunch of weird stuff. She's called the number back only to have someone pick up and not say anything.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would tell her to notify the police.
I have. I think she's considering it. Do you think they would do anything though? I figured it would be something they would just sort of brush off. It's not like anyone has been harmed, it's just really creepy.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I would tell her to save them. I know if you search a cell phone you can find out what carrier it is. Maybe contact them, not sure if they can tell you. Either that or change the phone number.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Definitely file a police report. I'd then contact the company (Verizon) and talk to a supervisor, give the details of the police report and ask that they immediately investigate and put a stop to the messages. Get the name of the person you speak to.
I don't know if one particular # can be blocked from a cell phone. I tried it once with Nextel when a club in South Beach sent me messages advertising their activities. I didn't have text message service at that time and had to pay every time I deleted one! Calls to the club itself did no good as they said they pay outside companies to handle their advertising and my number was on some kind of list. I had to block ALL text messaging to get it to stop. Assuming your friend uses her text message service and doesn't want to do that, she'll have to demand an investigation and involving the law might be the only way to get anything done.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I agree with Pam. Have her call the cell phone company of the offender and explain to a supervisor exactly what is happening. I think I would insist getting the offenders name, too.

What do the messages say? My first thought was some creepazoid texting a random msg, but you said they know where she lived. Eeek.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They knew her name. They said stuff like "do you still live at 1234 Street?" They also told her to call them and then listed HER home phone number. What's really weird about that is that her name is not in the phone book - she lives with her aunt who has a different last name. She has no idea how they would've connected her to that land line.

After about 7 or so texts, and she told them to F-off. They replied with "NOW you're talking, when and where?" She kept asking their name and they wouldn't give it to her. Then they said that they'd see her soon.

Most of the time, when anyone calls the number, someone answers but doesn't say anything. We thought they recognized the area code as ours, but now we have had a couple people in different states call and the same thing happens.

New developments - she had a couple of friends call the number. One of them is now getting what seems to be a fax machine trying to fax to her number. It's not the same number as the text messages were coming from, but it is also in Texas - completely different area of TX though. ???

Her other friend called a few times and finally talked to someone who said that a lot of people used that particular phone.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That's really creepy Janna, especially :
After about 7 or so texts, and she told them to F-off. They replied with "NOW you're talking, when and where?" She kept asking their name and they wouldn't give it to her. Then they said that they'd see her soon..
:-\

G

·
Keep the texts forward them to an email address to be printed out, call the cops and file a complaint. You can block a specific number if I remember correctly. If you can get the carrier off the white pages, then after you've filed a complaint with the police, you should be able to call that carrier and tell them you've filed a harrassment complaint against that number. See if there's anything they can do.

If they have personal information and have said things like "see you soon" it's serious business. She better call the cops. They'll take it seriously if she has the text messages to back it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts