Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Couldn't finish the article -- too long.

Off to YouTube!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Shh. Watching Huckleberry Hound.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Yes and so is spell check. I hate when libraries tell me that their students just use Google. They should know better and that it's not an authoritative source!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I don't know about stupid, but it's definitely making me less productive.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes and so is spell check. I hate when libraries tell me that their students just use Google. They should know better and that it's not an authoritative source!
I don't know. Spell check is to reading and writing as a calculator is to calculus. I don't think that good spelling is a sign of intelligence, although I do think you should know how to spell if you want your writing to be taken seriously.

I'm not sure what you mean by *libraries" telling you that "their students" "just" use Google. If you mean that librarians are telling students that it's OK to accept anything they find through Google, then that's obviously a problem. But there has been some research on Wikipedia, for example, that shows that some of its articles are more accurate than the Encyclopedia Britannica. Really, every high school student should be taught the criteria for evaluating sources critically. Whether it's published on paper or on the Web is kind of immaterial.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Shh! Watching a snake eating a tennis ball.....

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Onto Peter Ustinov's 1956 colonoscopy.....

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
In other words, we’re learning to substitute symbols of reality for reality itself.
I like that thought.
I think computers in general are making a lot of people dumber. We are becoming too dependent on modern technology. In my office the computers were shut down on the entire floor for 1/2 hour last week. People were just roaming the halls trying to figure out what to do.
Or the classic example. Check out of any fast food place and notice the cash register is just a keyboard with symbols for the various products. Your total is $3.46. Try handing the clerk $4.04 and see what happens. They will look at you like you're crazy.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know about stupid, but it's definitely making me less productive.
On the other hand, things like the Kindle really show amazing potential for building the habit of reading. Just imagine--you're on a train bound for parts unknown, nothing to do, and you think, "You know, I really need to read Sir Philip Sidney's Arcadia!" You go on your Kindle, download it, and there you are! 400 pages of excruciatingly dull Renaissance prose poem.

But you'd still have to be motivated to read.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Of course not. I can find an answer to any question online without having to think about the question.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I think the internet is not all that different than television - there is a tremendous amount of worthwhile content and the potential for broadening knowledge and understanding is unlimited. But most people will not take advantage of that and will use the Internet like they use TV - entertainment and time wasting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts