Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that my dog won't play with toys? Nylabones, kongs, tennis balls, stuffed toys, squeaky toys, frisbees, NOTHING catch's apollo's interest! I leave him home all day and he's got nothing to play with. I feel bad, but he seems content. Any suggestions. Oh and this is also the dog that has no clue how to fetch lol.. I wanna take my pooch to petsmart and spoil him with toys!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Do you play with the toys with him?

The boys are not interested in their toys so much until I play WITH them. When they pick up their toys, they don't play themselves, but throw them at me or drop them in my lap until I get up and "animate" the toys for them. :D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YEah. I will throw a ball for apollo and he will just stare at me. I'll get all excited over the toy and he looks at me like. "mommy forgot to take her medication" lol! I've even tried tossing a toy back and forth with sam. NOTHING seems to peak his interest

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I'm with Connie on this. I kind of had to show my labs what playing with toys was all about. They got it after that, but they'd still much rather play with one another than with toys.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it has to do with apollo sucky past. When he was a puppy he was beaten and shuttled from home to home. Poor thing never learned how to play. He likes playing with other dogs, but at this time it just is not feasible to get another "friend" for apollo. Any ideas on how to get him to play?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Alll dogs are different (I think!).

Dryf loves to chew on anything treat-like (bones) and sticks. But hates squeaky toys (though I admit we did not really buy them).

Rocky likes toys but...for short periods. When I first buy it (or he sees it for the first time at the park) he goes for it. But after the first day he doesnt' much care. Once in awhile he will squeak toys (he prefers the squeakers) but not that often. The only real thing he will chew regularly is toys with treats (treat balls or a stuffed kong). But once the treats are gone - not so much.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Aidan has a fleece gingerbread man that we call "baby"...and he knows its name... If you say go get baby he dashes off to find her.
Emma only likes toys that come with a person to play with. She will bring you whatever she is in the mood for-chukit, pool toy, house balls...depends on her mood.

Our older dog shadow, almost 15,has never played with a toy in his life, doesn't retrieve and could care less about toys.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know Apollo isn't a total weirdo. I was actually getting kinda worried. Oh well lol guess I'm just gunna save money on toys in the long run, huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts