Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted your opinions on age to neuter. Tank was not neuterd until recently. I would like to get Orson neutered as soon as possible but not too early if it is not advisable. He is 8 1/2 months old now.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I wouldn't. What does your breeder say? I have it in my contract that males cannot be neutered before 14-18 months.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Jake was neutered at 11 months so he could go to daycare. Charlotte will be spayed after her first heat.

What behaviors is he exhibiting or why do you want to neuter him asap?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am very sorry for my lack of knowledge when it comes to labs (please forgive me, I still have 3 months before I bring my first one home!), but why do most of you prefer to wait so long before spaying or neutering? All of my dog knowledge is centered around cocker spaniels, and in the cocker world it is highly highly advisable to spay or neuter at or around 6 months. Does this have to do with the growth and development of large breeds vs. medium/small breeds? Please fill me in!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I wouldn't. What does your breeder say? I have it in my contract that males cannot be neutered before 14-18 months.
I'm not disagreeing with you, however I'm wondering what happens with the contract if for some reason the dog has to be neutered before then. I can't think of a specific reason, but hypothetically speaking it needs to be done before then. How do you work around that?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I can say my contract says 8-15 months. I do not hold this over the owners head. I do however NOT recommend EARLY spay/neuter - before 6 months of age.
In the studies that state otherwise they mostly reference to altering prior to 6 months.
I also think other factors in those studies need to be considered. Like genetic predisposition, environment, health of the family history, ect. ....
I would not beat my puppy owners over the head for doing what they feel is right for them. I think there are worse things they could do...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Agree with Laura and the article. People underestimate the importance of hormones in growth and maturity and the long term effect it could have in the development of a mature dog.

I also understand the urge to prevent dogs from being bred and the whole overpopulation problem that justify the need to neuter them as early as possible.

I am in favor of responsible ownership. My "full" Homer doesn´t mark, fight, hump or do anything his "hormones" might be blamed for. Most of the problems are resolved through correct training. I´m actually considering doing a vasectomy instead of neutering him.

In any case, I would not neuter a dog until he´s at least 18 months old and fully grown

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I have it done soon will be the first week of August. He will be just over 9 months old.

I would wait longer but he is starting to mark. I cannot deal with that. Also he is humping the heck out of Tank especially grabbing him by the head and Tank is having a hard time with that as he not all that strong. Orson is a little power house. I cannot get Orson to stop doing this. He is a stubborn little bugger. I am hoping that the neuter will help both items.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
He's marking what? Outside? I neutered Rhys at 4 months, my vet said it was a great time.

He still marks trees, poles etc etc etc. He's never marked in the house.

The humping may continue as well, if its gone unpunished.

Orson was a really big boy if I am not mistaken, not sure if its fat or big, but he certainly looks large for his age...not like he wasn't maturing. I know his littermate is a peanut, tiny...so not sure if its overfeeding, but if this is the case, I'd shave a ton of weight off him before you neuter, or the anaestetic can really create a problem at any age.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting article. Sounds like I'll need to keep my fingers crossed and hope Louie avoids any of the early neuter problems later in life.

Since he was rescued from the Humane Society he was already neutered when we got him. We adopted him on his first day eligible (after being neutered) and they estimated his age at 10 weeks old. Yikes!:eek:

As far as behavior goes, Louie's very well adjusted. Has never marked anything inside, nor has he ever had any humping issues.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Also he is humping the heck out of Tank especially grabbing him by the head and Tank is having a hard time with that as he not all that strong. Orson is a little power house. I cannot get Orson to stop doing this. He is a stubborn little bugger. I am hoping that the neuter will help both items.
Exactly why I had Remington neutered. I wanted to do him at 9 months but held off for a year. Those last three months were at times intolerable. Nothing would stop him from humping Ruger, it was awful. He would jump on his back with such force, I was worried about injury.

Yes, neutering took care of it :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly why I had Remington neutered. I wanted to do him at 9 months but held off for a year. Those last three months were at times intolerable. Nothing would stop him from humping Ruger, it was awful. He would jump on his back with such force, I was worried about injury.

Yes, neutering took care of it
I have tried everything short of hurting him to get him to stop humping Tank. If Tank were to get hurt I would never forgive myself. Orson weighs somewhere around 70 pounds. Tank weighs 91. Orson is powerful - Tank at this point in time is not. It is not the weight but is the power with which he moves onto him with. He could easily knock me down if he tried.

He is marking IN the house. I think the areas he is marking had formerly been marked by the dog of the former owner of this house - just my guess.

If he were marking just outside and not humping Tank I would wait as long as I could. As I said Tank was just neutered at the age of 10. He never exhibited any of the what Orson is doing and we had 2 other dogs in the house.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Sandy, I hear ya. I more than once literally had to beat Remington off of Ruger, he went into Hump mode and nothing, and I mean NOTHING fazed him. I absolutely hated him during those months.

I've had several male dogs, and none acted the way Remington was acting.

Snip snip, and he became a much mellower guy :) Took about a month for the hormone levels to drop.

IMHO, if this is absolutely behaviour you cannot deal with, get him neutered and don't worry about what others think or say. YOU are the one who owns him and deals with it on a day to day basis. I don't think anyone will chastise you for making a decision that is right for your home.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If I were having issues with my pup (issues I was unable to correct with training) I would opt to neuter early. Especially if it meant the safety of another dog.

I had Huckle neutered at 6 months and he lived a long healthy life(14 1/2) free of hip/elbow issues. I'd love to see the actual data/numbers. It says it increases the risks....but how much?

Editted to say: Guthrie's contract required neutering after 18months and fortunately I was able to wait. If I did have a problem I certainly hope the my breeder would have understood and supported my decision. I like that Cinderbay understands that each pup and family situation is different and is willing to support their decision.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I know neutering early dramatically increases the odds of osteosarcoma, which is what Rhys is battling, I am constantly reminding myself that I chose to neuter him at 4 months...and is perhaps something I could have prevented.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
If I have it done soon will be the first week of August. He will be just over 9 months old.

I would wait longer but he is starting to mark. I cannot deal with that. Also he is humping the heck out of Tank especially grabbing him by the head and Tank is having a hard time with that as he not all that strong. Orson is a little power house. I cannot get Orson to stop doing this. He is a stubborn little bugger. I am hoping that the neuter will help both items.
Dylan does the same to Jasper and I too have a hard time stopping it !

However, he was neutered at just after 13 months and he still humps Jasper although he doesn't do any marking.

He is now 15 months old.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts