Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bauer does a lot of amazing things, and I am always surprised by how smart he is. Every evening I take Bauer to an industrial/business park that is cut through the woods near my house. There are lots of hills, fields, wooded areas; and he loves it. I let him explore off-leash while I do my run. Normally, he runs ahead a little bit and we do a lot of recall practice (although he never goes more than about 20 yards away from me). He will often come back and "check-in", and stays with me until I release him to explore again.

Last night he was acting really weird. He stayed right with me, and kept looking up and sniffing at the sky in the distance. He usually stays away from the road, but last night he kept going right up to the curb like he was ready to cross the street, turn around, and go home. He was driving me crazy . . . and then it started to rain. As soon as the rain started he looked at me, and took off to explore. He acted completely normal while I completed my run. I was thinking about it later, and wondered if he knew it was going to rain. Is it possible?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'd say yes. Monday evening Forrest was really clingy, wouldn't leave my feet, wouldn't lay down. Crawled in bed with me.... About 9:30 the hailstorm from Hell rolled in... I've NEVER seen anything like it. There was still piles of hailstones on the ground at 3AM....

They know!

Lucy

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Oh sure he can. The atmospheric pressure changes and most animals can tell something is happening. I can smell a rainstorm coming.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Yep, I bet it had something to do with the barometric pressure. My girls always know when the weather is changing. All I have to do is watch. Impending thunderstorms (even before it thunders) means we will have a very clingy Boo.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Yes, they know when the weather is changing, and especially when a storm is coming. My Great Dane ***** used to let me know a good hour before a storm hit. Poor thing was just terrified of them.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He was funny. As soon as the rain started he looked at me like, "I tried to warn you, you didn't listen, now you are on your own." Then he took off to run and play. Crazy dog!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I think he knew. My girls will act real clingy right before a storm comes. Maybe it is the barometric pressure. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.