Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy Crush has been showing interest in the bathtub since we got him home on Tuesday. He has also shown me his game of dropping a kibble into his water dish and then trying to fish it out with his big ol' paws. He has knocked over two full bowls of water playing this game, lol, but it's cute. Today when DD was taking her bath, Crush was getting his kicks by running into the bathroom and stealing her toys off of the edge of the tub and then running out to the living room with them...(where mom would promptly remove the choking hazards from his mouth). Finally, he jumped up and over the edge...landing right inside! DD is only 3 so there was very little water and no bubbles. I let him stomp around a bit...then he stuck his whole nose and head under the water to get a toy that was sitting on the bottom!! Is that okay??? I got him out after that and dried him off but he was so hyper and excited he went zippin' all over the house!
(wish i had gotten the camera out!)

I don't really want him to make a habit of getting in the tub with the kids, but can i get him a baby pool to play in outside, and is it okay that he puts his whole face and nose under water?

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I can just picture him in the tub with your DD. :D Mine would play in their waterbowls as pups too. I think that's good he is not afraid of the water. We need pictures next time. :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
HK loved her kiddie pool. She oftten stuck her whole head in the water to get a non-floating toy. She liked to blow bubbles in the water too. I think you have a Lab thats not afraid of water. Surprise!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i'm happy that he likes the water, it's cool. i just wasn't sure if i needed to worry about his head and ears getting wet at 10 weeks old or if he is going to breathe in water through his nose by accident or something. it's a tough question to google.=]

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I LOVE taking baths with Baloo standing right beside the tub sticking his face in the water and blowing bubbles. Cracks me up everytime. :D

I wouldn't worry about him sticking his face in the water, as long as it's not soapy water that will sting his eyes. I would be worried about allowing him to hop right in though, that'll create quite the "splash" when he's all grown up! :eek: :D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Be careful about letting him jump into the tub this young as he can damage his joints, especially if he slips upon landing. Some people will not even allow pups to walk down stairs before they are a year old.

Definitely get him a kiddie pool to play in, many Labs love them and those are a summertime staple for cooling off!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts