Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HONEST!
Besides the fact that I was trying to get my 5YO to take the pics...Is he on the thin side for the show ring???

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
163 Posts
He looks good to me. Not overweight and with a good amount of substance for his age. He will look thinner and leggier than the more mature labs in the ring but it has to do with immaturity. He's a nice boy! Love to see him in a few years.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I don't think so, especially for 7 months. :) I think he looks like a good weight! Nice boy!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Looks great to me too. :) I really don't like to see chubby pups in the ring... let them grow up first! -Anne

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
What a lovely boy! If you're talking about all-breed ring, then I think he looks fine. For a specialty, I don't think he has enough substance at this age. I would not try to bulk him up though. He's in great shape, I'd keep him looking like this.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If anything he has 1 or 2 lbs too much on him. I don't like extra weight on growing pups and don't adjust my dog's weight for the show ring. Its not healthy.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Your 5 year old takes better pics than I do...seriously they did a great job.
I think he looks very nice, especially considering how young he is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tatyana said:
For a specialty, I don't think he has enough substance at this age.
I don't know what you expect a 7 month old puppy to look like, but that is about as much substance as you'll find in most lines. The judge isn't looking for who has the most substance at that age, they are looking at conformation. It's an age where many labradors are going through the uglies - and that boy is looking absolutely fine to me. As long as he moves nicely there is nothing that would stop me showing him in any show.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Tatyana said:
For a specialty, I don't think he has enough substance at this age. I would not try to bulk him up though. He's in great shape, I'd keep him looking like this.
I have to disagree. A puppy should not look like a 3 YO mature dog at 7 months. This puppy looks very appropriate for his age.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Peggy I agree that a puppy should look like a puppy. But this puppy would be much smaller than others his age at a specialty. I would be selective about the judge and stick to European judges with a nice moderate puppy like this guy. If you enter under Kendall Herr or Roy Cone for example, they would be looking for more dog than you happen to have at the moment.
Having said that, so many puppies clean up at shows and specialties and then fall off the face of the earth as they end up overdone and stuffy. Nothing wrong at all with looking like a puppy...it sometimes means that you forego puppy wins, but these dogs can clean up when they become veterans ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
FallRiver said:
Peggy I agree that a puppy should look like a puppy. But this puppy would be much smaller than others his age at a specialty. I would be selective about the judge and stick to European judges with a nice moderate puppy like this guy. If you enter under Kendall Herr or Roy Cone for example, they would be looking for more dog than you happen to have at the moment.
Having said that, so many puppies clean up at shows and specialties and then fall off the face of the earth as they end up overdone and stuffy. Nothing wrong at all with looking like a puppy...it sometimes means that you forego puppy wins, but these dogs can clean up when they become veterans ;)
I agree about the judges. It is hard to tell in the pics how moderate he is. There really is nothing to gauge size against. That is why I always hesitate to comment on pics ;)

I agree on your 2nd paragraph completely!! Jarrett did well as a puppy at specialties (class wins, placements, etc.) and you are right, you need to be selective about who you show to. He has held up quite well and if not for the white face, you would have a hard time guessing his age. I like that!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't understand. Why are puppy labradors at US specialty shows expected to look like fully mature adults? Yet they are allowed to be puppies at all breeds shows?

Wouldn't it depend on the judge?

We have a US judge for our specialty this year (can't remember her name at the moment but she owns Lobuff labradors). I'll consider myself pre warned ;)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Judges can only put up what is in front of them and at the moment, there are more than a few mature looking puppies in the ring. They are not expected to look like fully mature adults, but the ones that do are usually better put together at that point in time, so they get put up.
It always depends on the judge. Lisa Weiss (Lobuff) will find a good dog regardless of size IMO.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I agree, Lisa Weiss appears to look at the "whole picture." She judged recently (Feb) at the San Diego Labrador Retriever Club specialty if you are interested in seeing the dogs she put up. She gave Baloo (the Potomac's WD this year) WD at that specialty show from what I remember, for one of his now 3 specialty wins. She used my boy Monty for a placement (I can't remember which) in our 12-18 month class, but we're always up against Nip-N-Tuck Hyspire Unforgettable or "Nat" in California anyhow, who is the same age as Monty. He typically wins. His website information may help give you an idea of how mature he is: http://www.hyspire.com/nat.html. I think he's really a nice boy- love these big black dogs. :) Though my Monty was a pretty mature 6 month-old, he is still a growing, goofy boy and at almost 18 months, is obviously not fully mature yet. It sure is fun to watch them grown and develop!

In my opinion, there will be a bit of an advantage for those more mature puppies in the ring (whether specialty shows or all-breed) because *on that day* they may often appear to have more labrador "type," more bone, prettier head, more level topline, better angles...whatever- any or all of those. Judging, unfortunately, isn't supposed to be about how a dog *will* turn out (in the future- unless judging a sweepstakes class), but how they appear *on that day.* I suppose it just may be easier for some judges to compare the more mature puppies with the breed standard/adult "picture" than trying to compare puppies who are high in the rear or whatnot?

For what it's worth, I think this boy will do just fine in the ring at 7 months, whether at a specialty show or at an all-breed show. :) You can't expect too much of them at this age (though you may be pleasantly surprised!), and often the judges will ask the age of the puppies in the class. For the 6-9 month class, there always seems to be a HUGE difference between 6 and 9 months....crazy how even an extra couple of months can make all that much difference.

JMHO/experiences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think your Monty is so beautiful. I love yellows because you can see their sweet faces and expressions. But I love the shiney coats on a black. I will be in Lab heaven with all the great dogs to see, I can't wait. I will be rooting you on all the way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts