Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have over done it with Ernie today. We started the day off with a good long walk--we actually went a little farther than we normally do. Then he had his puppy class which last about an hour long and we came home and he rested for a couple of hours.

Well we are supposed to have awful weather for the next several days with flooding and wind gusts up to 60 mph so I thought that it was so beautiful out we should go and get a walk on the beach as well. My husband and I were walking him on the beach and then he got in the water a little bit so I tossed the ball to him a couple of times and he brought it back but then we decided it was time to leave so I started walking and Ernie just jumped up and grabbed my sleeve. He started pulling and tugging and even growling a little bit. :mad: Every time I tried to redirect him it would work and he would go into a sit or down but when I started moving again---same thing. I just waited him out and refused to move until he settled and then we were able to finish our walk with out any further issues His tantrum lasted all of about 5 minutes--if that (just seemed like a long time). I am most concerned with his growling at me but also b/c it was more than just being nippy.

I don't think he wanted to stay in the water b/c he wasn't running back into it and he still is not fully used to it. I have noticed that the couple of times he has gotten in the water in front of our house he goes crazy rolling around on the grass and just acting hyper when he gets out....so maybe this was just the same thing but b/c he was on the leash he acted out towards me. He is just over 4 months right now and we did notice that a few of his teeth are falling out so he could just be tired and cranky from that. Any one have any suggestions on how to discourage this behavior?

On a positive note we were walking back to the car and we passed this group of teenagers who were all dressed in black with lots of tattoos and piercings. We stopped to let Ernie interact with another dog that was passing nearby them as well and the owner asked what Ernie's name was. Well the kid overheard me and came running over to me. He asked again what Ernie's name was and when I told him he said "I think you must have dropped this" and he handed me back Ernie's sally tag! I would have been so upset when we got home. I thanked him so much b/c I couldn't believe he even found it and most people probably wouldn't have bothered even trying to return it. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I'm sure Ernie is just fine and will probably rest well tonight! Sounds like he'll get plenty of rest the next several days!

Kudos to the young man who returned Ernie's Sally tag!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the nipping at this point, Oona stopped after she was done teething. I would suggest getting a couple of fleece paint rollers get them soaking wet and freezing them. Let Ernie chew these and they will soothe his gums during the teething.
As far as the growling it can't be judged out of context with the rest of his body language. More than likely it was a play growl.
Olie

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
We used the paint rollers also...soaked in some chicken broth.

lol @ he was just trying to tell you he lost his tag.

Is he mouthy with you at any other time? Is the growling playful? Aidan has a low toned, play growl. When he and Emma are playing youd think there was a dog fight going on.
Does he behavior concern you at any other time or was this an isolated incident?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is he mouthy with you at any other time? Is the growling playful? Aidan has a low toned, play growl. When he and Emma are playing youd think there was a dog fight going on.
Does he behavior concern you at any other time or was this an isolated incident?
He is mouthy although that has been getting better. However, he has never growled before....he hardly ever barks and never ever whines. Since he started attending puppy class he has figured out he has a voice and he barks ever once in a while...so I wonder if he is just realizing he can do more with his voice than a bark. He did the same thing to my husband two days before but it was in the house and they were on the floor playing. I don't think he was trying to be mean...I think he was trying to be playful but it really did look mean.

He has been his usual self since then. I will try the paint rollers. I really think a lot of it has to do with the fact that his little teeth must hurt.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Your gut feeling, instinct is probably accurate. Youre the one there to really know what his temp is...i bet youre right and he was just discovering his voice. Like I said...Aidan can sometimes sound VICIOUS..at the Potomac..Labby his breeder, heard him and said is he playing? because if not he's about to get his lil porkchop butt kicked by Gram for growling like that. He was indeed playing and when he and Emma go at it, playing bitey face, it sounds like a full fledged dog fight going on and looks it also.
Check out this face..

Vicious, I tell ya! This family is kept safe from all errant pepsi bottles. I feel very safe.

And yeah, they can also get cranky. If theyre tired out or overstimulated, they can get more mouthy than usual.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG....that is the cutest picture. Does he only protect you against pepsi products or is it coke as well ;)

Thanks for the advice and tips. I think we definitely over did it yesterday b/c it is almost 11 am as I type this and both my husband and Ernie are snoring so loud it could wake the neighborhood. It very unusual for either of them to sleep in this late! :eek:

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I wonder if Ernie was trying to keep you from leaving because he was wary of the teenagers? Protecting you by keeping you away from them? That was my first thought.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Taffys Mom said:
I wonder if Ernie was trying to keep you from leaving because he was wary of the teenagers? Protecting you by keeping you away from them? That was my first thought.
His little tantrum happened way down the beach away from the kids or anyone else. It is pouring here today and I just took him outside to potty and when he came back in he was a little nutty as well. I really think it has to do with getting wet. He just gets hyper--hopefully he will grow out of it soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts