Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is, aside from the inevitable noxious fumes that will soon be emanating from the south end of a certain yellow trash-picker named Champ?

I was watching Dirty Jobs, Buddy was on his bed in the living room, and I thought Champ was in the computer room with Bill. All of a sudden, Buddy jumped up and went into his crate, then sat there looking into the dining room. I got up and snuck around the corner and there's Champ, chowing down on the leftover cabbage in the trash can. :mad: I yelled at Champ and put him in his crate. I then called Buddy out of his and told him he wasn't in trouble.

Last weekend, after I made soup with the turkey carcass, I tossed the bones in the trash. Then Bill and I were in the garage for a few minutes. When I walked back in the house, the lid was off the trash and some of the bones were gone. :eek: I caught Champ in the act and got a leg bone from him, but Buddy was in the corner looking at me like "It wasn't me, Mom, honest!" I had no way of knowing if Buddy had partaken of the booty or not, so I crated them both and kept a close eye on both of them. Thank God, the turkey carcass had been boiled until the bones were softened up.

But - Budddy learned from that and when he saw Champ go in the trash tonight, he was taking no chances on getting in trouble for his brother's screw-up!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
That Buddy is a smart guy!

I have a garbage can that would thwart your little raider - Simple Human makes it and my dogs have not been able to get into it yet.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
BigBrownDog, I'd love to see a link to that garbage can! I'm in the market for a toddler (and puppy) proof one. LOL

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigBrownDog, I'd love to see a link to that garbage can! I'm in the market for a toddler (and puppy) proof one. LOL
Me too, please. Champ is a big boy and will walk up to the trash and flip up the lid when we are standing right there. It's a 30 gallon basket, so the lid is not tight-fitting or heavy.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Target and Bed Bath Beyond carry the Simple Human trash cans. They have lots of varieties all with the same mechanism for the lids. HK has not been able to get into ours, and she has tried.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I forgot to ask. Has the fermenting started yet? Do you expect methane or sauerkraut?
Sorry, couldn't help it. I did a quick search and didn't find anything with cabbage listed as toxic to dogs.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is my attempt at a link

http://www.target.com/gp/search/192-9203500-6999159?field-keywords=simplehuman-simplehuman&AFID=Google&CPNG=Kitchen&LNM=simplehuman_simplehuman&LID=22533496&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT0451

They are not cheap - but i have had mine for 3 years and 3 dogs and none of them cracked the code. It closes tightly and the lid is heavy for the average dog nose.
Wow! $89.99 for a 10 gallon can is too rich for our blood right now. We will look at them again another time.

Ed, we're expecting methane. :( So far, the fermenting has not yet begun. I imagine it will come during the night. Of course, the boys sleep next to my side of the bed. Phew!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Ed, we're expecting methane. :( So far, the fermenting has not yet begun. I imagine it will come during the night. Of course, the boys sleep next to my side of the bed. Phew!
That will wake you up, for sure!! *insert X face from old JL*

Luckily Abbey and Toby keep out of the trash, but my mother's cat Charlie is another story. He'll get into the pantry and steal chicken bones, steak bones, etc.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
here is my attempt at a link

http://www.target.com/gp/search/192-9203500-6999159?field-keywords=simplehuman-simplehuman&AFID=Google&CPNG=Kitchen&LNM=simplehuman_simplehuman&LID=22533496&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT0451

They are not cheap - but i have had mine for 3 years and 3 dogs and none of them cracked the code. It closes tightly and the lid is heavy for the average dog nose.

Thanks. I'm not really concerned about cost. I just want something I'm going to be able to keep a puppy out of.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mrs

Sshhh - be vewy, vewy quiet - I don't want to jinx anything! ;) We've had no stinkbombs and no other problems from the cabbage feast last night. Thank You, Lord! :)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
hrm... you can have my stinkbomb creator. Free of charge. I'll even pay for shipping! :p

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Wow! $89.99 for a 10 gallon can is too rich for our blood right now. We will look at them again another time.

Yeah - well - I bought mine at Crate and Barrel before Target had them. I'm not even going to tell you what I paid for it. The way I see it - it is way cheaper than even one emergency vet visit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts