Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had just gotten inside the dog park and I threw a ball as far as I good Chuck It. I hadn't noticed someone else across the field had thrown one at the same time in our direction. Hershey Kisses and Julie (German Shorthair) each had one thing in their sights, their ball. They crashed at full spead, head on head. Everyone heard the CRACK! when their heads met.

Both dogs went down for a second or two. The German Shorthair was back to normal exhuberance pretty quickly. HK got up slower and stumbled a few steps and then was doing funny things with her tingue. Like maybe she bit it and was trying to shake it off.

We examined both dogs, about 6 different people examining each, and found nothing visibly wrong. No bleeding or anything. Then they both got back intot heir normal behaviors at the park.

HK seems totally okay. I have been checking her eyes every half hour for dilation or anything else not symmetrical. I think she is fine, but thought I would ask if there is anything to watch for, or if a vet visit should really be done.

TIA, Ed

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh my gosh! That would scare me to death!

Do you have an emergency vet you could call? I might be a little nervous about this. I don't know what they would do...x-ray?

Dog's skulls may be thicker than ours, but I know with people any big bump to the head like that goes to the ER.

I think I would watch her very closely for any signs of nausea, too.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I would keep an eye on her, any funny business and if it were me she would be to the vet. Vomiting, wobbling when walking, yes the pupils should be watched- watch for any seizure activity, or bleeding from nose or ears- bet she does fine though. Poor HK, bet she has a headache! Oh and I would check on her at least a couple of times through out the night.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Well, tuck ran full speed into my parents house once.. their brick house.. he fell, sneezed, got up and found the ball he was chasing at the time.

We all stood there, jaw dropped and unable to move, he kept bouncing around.

They are insane

Keep an eye on him, but he should be okay.. probably just took the wind out of him for a minute.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Ditto on the above. But it would scare me too. Glad HK is doing ok, I would probably call the vet but I bet they would say what has been said here.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Ed, I agree just keep an eye on her for any of the usual indicators of a concussion. Though it sounds like she'll be fine after shaking it off.

If we've learned nothing else about our beloved labbies... DEY GOTS **** HARD HEADS!!!!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up calling our vet at home about a half hour after posting. Just didn't want her to be at risk to save a trip to the eVet. The vet asked some questions, basically walked me through an exam of her, told me Hk was likely fine, but to watch for all the things mentioned here, or anything else strange. If I saw anything, straight to the eVet.

Ended with the comment about how hard their heads are. She has a couple Labs herself.

So HK slept with us last night, got nudged and probed almost every hour. Around 3 she had enough and exited the bed for the floor. She's fine this am. Spotted a deer a few houses down this morning on our walk and showed me that she can still run just fine.<g>

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe my post didn't make it. Having trouble with JL this morning.

Hershey Kisses is fine this morning. I think over-protective Dad syndrome was in action last night. But it was one loud head on head collision, Emailed with the German Shorthair owner. He was also concerned and Julie is doing fine also.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I ended up calling our vet at home about a half hour after posting. Just didn't want her to be at risk to save a trip to the eVet. The vet asked some questions, basically walked me through an exam of her, told me Hk was likely fine, but to watch for all the things mentioned here, or anything else strange. If I saw anything, straight to the eVet.

Ended with the comment about how hard their heads are. She has a couple Labs herself.

So HK slept with us last night, got nudged and probed almost every hour. Around 3 she had enough and exited the bed for the floor. She's fine this am. Spotted a deer a few houses down this morning on our walk and showed me that she can still run just fine.<g>
I'm glad she is doing well today. I would have gotten off the bed too. LOL

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, I'm so glad to hear she's OK! [email protected] the bed at three. What a pest you are, Dad! haha ;)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Glad she's fine.

One time Otis took off running off the deck. The problem was that he had turned to look at us and then took off running. He hadn't turned as far toward the stairs as he thought he had and ran full-tilt into the deck post. He yelped and fell flat onto the deck - all four legs splayed out like a cartoon. He got back up and then seemed fine. We did call the vet, but they just told us to watch him, like they told you. Crazy dogs.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Glad she is fine, but how scary. I can't even imagine hearing the crack of their heads :eek:!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That would have scared the bejesus out of me too, Ed! So glad to hear she's OK!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts