Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had experience or advice on introducing our new puppy to our cat.

Our cat is very friendly and easy going - more of a lover than most cats I have known (and doesn't have his front claws....dont judge me on the claws, that was my wife's doing before I met her).

My question is really around the very first introduction - I have read that it is good to first take the pup out to potty - and then allow him to explore the house on his own. While he is doing this, would it be best to keep the cat in the back room and introduce them later in the day after the pup has explored a bit? Or should we just let the cat do its thing and have roam of the house and let the introduction happen naturally?

any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Tyler

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
We've always allowed it to happen naturally but made sure that the kitty has escape routes and/or places to go where the puppy can't get to it. Good Luck. Have fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've always suggested to allow the cat the respect that the new puppy is in its territory. The cat will teach the puppy if necessary. I just assume she/he is de-clawed? Otherwise, as stated above, just naturally...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice - that is sort of what I thought but its great to hear confirmation from experience.

The cat has been around dogs in its life and has places to hide if needed so I think we will do as you suggest and let them meet naturally.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've done the same. The cat has had a couple of new dogs in his life and it all seemed to work out. As long as he has an escape route he eventually warmed up to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When we brought our dog home, we put up a gate that blocked off the hall and the bedrooms during the day so that the cats could easily hop over the gate and have a break from our dog. Occasionally, Neptune will overstep his boundaries in an attempt to play and they will hiss and straighten him out, but 98% of the time, they coexist peacefully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts