Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been working at the cat clinic for almost 2 months and am already ready to move on... This is very not like me, I tend to stick with it and work through tough spots and my previous jobs (excluding the summer help jobs) were for at least two years.

I'm just sick of this place. It's a cats only clinic, which is okay, because I like cats.. but I am more of a dog person, so I think if it were a dog/cat place, I wouldn't be so tempted to leave already.

Basically the Doctor is nuts and so is the "office manager." To this day, the Dr. has never introduced himself to me, asked me anything about myself or my animals.. He doesn't care. He has a horrible temper and will kick/punch things, including the wall. Sometimes it's over having to put a cat down, which I would kind of understand, but other times it's something little, such as a cat squirming too much prior to drawing blood. He doesn't talk to anyone except for the "office manager" and you can't ask him anything without him getting pissed.. even if it were a very important question about one of the patients.

Since I do reception and vet assistant, I deal with a lot of clients and my "office manager" a lot more than the other assistants. My "OM," has been there for a few years and is VERY annoying. She belittles me on a daily basis and has a list of things she needs to tell me to fix. Sometimes they are things that I didn't know beforehand, but sometimes I think she just writes things there so she has more to bug me about. She makes me feel like I'm 5 years old and don't know anything, and I think it makes her ego feel good to treat people like crap. :(

Oh, another thing. I started off making minimum wage during training and was supposed to get bumped up to my regular wage once training was over. I thought "training" would be for the first couple of weeks, especially when someone was with me... but it's been almost 2 months now, so I asked my aforementioned "OM." She basically told me that I suck at my job and am still making mistakes, so I don't deserve the extra $$. :eek:

That's the gist of things and I'm not the only one there that feels the same way... our vet tech, our ONLY vet tech, just put her 2 weeks notice in, so I'm going to feel bad if I end up leaving, too, but it's not my fault! We are all treated like crap, wayyy underpaid and it's just not worth it.

So I got a call from another vet clinic and called them back. I'm going in tomorrow for an interview!! :) It's a regular vet, so they see dogs and cats.. which I'm very excited about. Wish me luck so I can get the heck out of that place!!! :D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OMG Justine, I can't believe they treat their employees that way! And I can't believe the Dr. has a temper like that. Yikes.

GOOD LUCK! You need to get out of there ASAP.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG Justine, I can't believe they treat their employees that way! And I can't believe the Dr. has a temper like that. Yikes.

GOOD LUCK! You need to get out of there ASAP.
That's pretty much EXACTLY what my Mom told me. I'm not burning any bridges yet.. keeping this job until I for sure have another and I'll give 2 weeks' notice.

It kind of makes sense.. people that want to be doctors but can't deal with people.. they become vets! :eek:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yea but, Doc sounds extremely unstable. A vet who sometimes punches walls when he has to put a cat down? Uh, yea.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Yikes! Hope you're able to get out of there.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Justine, prayers and good thoughgts for the interview and a better work environment. Anyone who goes around breaking and punching things has a severe anger management problem. Your OM sounds like a total ***** who knows you know more than she does and is afraid you are going to take her place.

Get out of there!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Good luck - that clinic sounds dreadful but often finding a clinic that works for you can take a little job hoppng at first - I think partly because there really are two seperate streams in a clinic - front office and back room ...

you'll find a good match - I like the fact you are sticking with it til you find something else :)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Good luck on your interview. And I think it's wise to not quit your job until you find something else. That sounds like a terrible working situation you're in and, if this next interview doesn't pan out with a good job, keep trying until you find one.

BUT a quibble -- I very much disagree with your generalization:
It kind of makes sense.. people that want to be doctors but can't deal with people.. they become vets!
My experience with vets is that most of them are quite good at relating with people, e.g., many commonly flatter pet owners on what beautiful, great pets they have and do many things to endear themselves to the owners -- actions which are completely unrelated to their skill in handling the illness, injury, in question.

We do our "vetting" at KSU's CollVetMed because IMO my pets get a higher quality of service, treatment, and -- as a fringe benefit -- the charges are typically lower.

It amuses me that their 4th year vet students that bring us to the treatment room, get the vitals, the presenting issues before the DVM comes in and repeats everything -- these students practice their people skills, saying things like "what a beautiful/nice/wonderful Lab," "all of us had to draw straws to see who would win and get to see _____," etc.

Having seen scores of these 4th year students over the years, I've only seen one who lacked social skills with people and animals. I think most go into vet work because they really like animals just as most people become vet techs, not because they lack people skills so can't become nurse's aides, but because they really like animals.

And I've met a few MDs who lack people skills -- I suspect they survive financially because the general public usually trusts physicians regardless of people skills.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How long has he been a vet?
Around 30 yrs, me thinks!

Yes, Bob, I agree to a certain extent, but what you see as a client and what you see as an employee are two VERY different things. If I was a client here, I would have no idea. He always walks in the room and with a big (fake!) smile on his face says "Hiiii! How are youuuu doing?" I would never know he was such a jackass in real life!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts