Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess you could consider this a unique question. My old boss just sent me job description for a job that I might be interested. Right now there is not much in Michigan at ALL. First, the job seems more like an admin assistant which I assume won't pay 1/2 as much as I was paid. Soooo, I sent my resume along just to get some practice in inverviewing again. I was contacted immediately looking for an interview. The problem is, I don't want to waste his time if the salary is not what I am looking for.

The reason I am picking about salary is that in August I will be needing daycare for 2. I'd rather be a SAHM, but for the right salary I would do daycare. If I only make $10K (and the rest goes to daycare) per year....well, not really worth my time IMO.

Do I just go to the interview and figure it out from there?
And then I have a ton of work prepping for an interview again which is good practice....the harder part is getting a babysitter next week.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you really want to do the interview do it - you don't know that they will offer you the position. if they do then youhave to look at the whole picture - until then don't worry about it - it si not a waste of time. Your s or theirs - not only will you have the opportunity to do the interview (which is what you are looking for) but if you chose not to take the position if offered, theymay also watch for other opportunities that are better suited to yo and at a more appealing pay.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Go and find out. The worst thing that happens is you are not interested. If they thought you were overqualified they probably wouldn't be interested in you. They don't want to hire someone that will be bored quickly and leave and then have to find someone all over again. Are you having a phone interview?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I don't think you'd be wasting his time. Interviews are just as much for the interviewee as the interviewer. You both want to be happy, and salary is a part of that. If it doesn't pay enough, well it's better to find this out early so both parties can move on.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
If you really want to do the interview do it - you don't know that they will offer you the position. if they do then youhave to look at the whole picture - until then don't worry about it - it si not a waste of time. Your s or theirs - not only will you have the opportunity to do the interview (which is what you are looking for) but if you chose not to take the position if offered, theymay also watch for other opportunities that are better suited to yo and at a more appealing pay.
I agree.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I am 21 weeks pregnant which is another reason I am not into interviewing. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable and though they technically can't make a decision about employment based on pregnancy I can understand that there are plenty of other candidates. I guess i just want to get out there and see what is available. Timing isn't great but my unemployment options are not either.

I decided to test the waters and am doing the interview on Monday. As you have all mentioned, I really don't have anything to lose and it is good practice.

PS - I don't have a maternity suit and am NOT buying one....would nice slacks and a top by ok or should I wear a dress? I have both.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i think the slacks and a nice top woudl do - most people know when you are pg you don't spend a fortune on clothing. i was lucky my last interview while pg i was still able to wear my own suit - the skirt was kind of big so I still fit it!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in Michigan but in NYS you don't have to accept jobs that aren't within 80% of your old salary. If you do not go to the interview they can disqualify you for unemployment benefits. In order to receive benefits in our state you must be ready,willing and able to work.

I would go to the interview regardless of the laws. In 2008 when the company I worked for shuttered it's doors I was called by the human remains department of where I now work and they asked me to submit a resume for a position they had. Just prior to the interview, the Engineering VP was looking through my resume and decided that he could use me in a different capacity at a much higher pay grade and responsibility then what they had originally planned for. The bottom line is you never know and never let an opportunity pass unexplored.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Glad you made the choice to go, regardless of the outcome it won't be wasted time. Good luck Monday! Just be relaxed and take the opportunity to use the interview to question them - it's as much your chance to evaluate the company and position as it is their opportunity to evaluate you and your skills.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just missed all of the great suggestions. Today is the interview. I do have a nice dress that I borrowed from my SIL so I really lucked out! I also just realized how HUGE I am this time, OMG! Anyways, I have a few questions ready and should be ready for the interview. We shall see.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
CONGRATS on the pregnancy!!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts