Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If no one’s in a mall, do they notice the geothermal energy?

$5 million to create a geothermal energy system for the Oak Ridge City Center shopping mall in Oak Ridge, Tenn. From TheHill.com, “The main problem, says Republicans, is the fact the mall has been losing tenants for years and is mostly empty.”

$9.38 million to renovate a century-old train depot in Lancaster County, Pa., that has not been used for three decades

Puppet terror!

$100,000 for socially conscious puppet shows in Minnesota

$2 million to build a replica railroad tourist attraction in Carson City, Nevada

$462,000 to purchase 22 concrete toilets for use in the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri

$3.1 million to transform a canal barge into a floating museum that will travel the Erie Canal in New York

Why did the turtle cross the road?

$3.4 million to create an underground turtle tunnel, or eco-passage, in Lake Jackson, Florida. We love turtles and don’t want them to get smashed by traffic. However, when your government spending plan involves jokes like, “Why did the turtle cross the road? To get more stimulus money,” you can pretty much guess there’s a problem.

$1 million to study the health effects of environmentally friendly public housing on 300 people in Chicago. I bet those 300 people would rather split the million and get out of public housing all together.

$983,952 for street beautification in Ann Arbor, Mich., including decorative lighting, trees, benches and bike paths

$1 million for Portland, Ore., to replace 100 aging bike lockers and build a garage that would house 250 bicycles. I think Portland’s bike programs are fantastic. I also think that it is possible to find cheaper ways to store bicycles.

$700,000 to Oregon crab fishermen to help recover lost crab post. You would think for that much money they could just go buy new ones.

$1.5 billion for a Carbon Capturing Contest

$300,000 for a GPS-equipped helicopter to hunt for radioactive rabbit droppings at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington state

Reefer madness

SUNY Buffalo received $390,000 to study young adults who drink malt liquor and smoke marijuana. Of course if they had used that money to pay for more kids to go to school they would have less people to study.

Washington State University got $148,438 to analyze the use of marijuana in conjunction with medications like morphine. Both of these studies will probably one day be used in the fight for marijuana decriminalization.

This article paid for by stimulus money.

In rural Wisconsin, 37 little-used bridges are receiving $15.8 million in stimulus funds. According to the Milwaukee Wisconsin Journal Sentinel, “The 37 bridges average 568 vehicles a day.” Some of these bridges see less than ten cars a day.

Montana received $2.2 million to install skylights in their state-run liquor warehouse.

The $800,000 given to John Murtha Airport to repave a back runway has pissed off many, many people—myself included. This airport services a whopping 20 passengers a day and has, over the past decade, already received millions in federal funds. Representative John Murtha treats this as his private airport and has spared no expense, too bad the money isn’t his but ours.

$1 million was given to a Chicago dinner cruise company to “combat terrorism”

The Coast Guard gets $572 million to create 1,235 new jobs. This comes to $460,000 per job.

Here are two things that should have been paid for privately: $30 million for a spring training baseball complex for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies and $11 million for Microsoft to build a bridge connecting its two headquarter campuses in Redmond, Wash., which are separated by a highway. Instead of taking our money, why isn’t Bill Gates helping with a solution?

$1.15 million to install a guardrail for a persistently dry lake bed in Guymon, Okla.

$2.5 million in stimulus checks sent to the deceased

$6 million for a snow-making facility in Duluth, Minn.

And, of course, every project gets its own $300 road sign claiming: “This project was paid for by stimulus money.”
Stupid Stimulus Spending: Projects that Piss Us Off

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'm counting the seconds until Maple1 gets in here and justifies every dime of the above as a) appropriate, b) measured and reasonable, and c) completely essential for our continuance as a society. And then d) slams you for even thinking that any of this is out of line.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
And, of course, every project gets its own $300 road sign claiming: “This project was paid for by stimulus money.”

That is the dumbest part of all. I see them on some roads around here, and it pisses me off every time. Without those signs think of how many more turtles could have been saved, how many more streets in Ann Arbor could have been beautified, how many more puppet shows could have been produced, and how many more concrete toilets could have been purchased. The signs were a waste!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I'm counting the seconds until Maple1 gets in here and justifies every dime of the above as a) appropriate, b) measured and reasonable, and c) completely essential for our continuance as a society. And then d) slams you for even thinking that any of this is out of line.
Counting the seconds until you think of me again. Okay 1 second.

Why do you feel a need to stalk me online? To disagree with everything I post? To bring me into threads that I have not even participated in? It is getting a little old, and a lot creepy and I thank you to stop devoting so much of your waking hours (and probably in your dreams as well) focusing on me. And if you won't do this for me, do it for yourself, your own health and well being.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That is the dumbest part of all. I see them on some roads around here, and it pisses me off every time. Without those signs think of how many more turtles could have been saved, how many more streets in Ann Arbor could have been beautified, how many more puppet shows could have been produced, and how many more concrete toilets could have been purchased. The signs were a waste!
LOL!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Wonder how many lined up to participate in this study:rockon:
"SUNY Buffalo received $390,000 to study young adults who drink malt liquor and smoke marijuana. Of course if they had used that money to pay for more kids to go to school they would have less people to study"

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Counting the seconds until you think of me again. Okay 1 second.

Why do you feel a need to stalk me online? To disagree with everything I post? To bring me into threads that I have not even participated in? It is getting a little old, and a lot creepy and I thank you to stop devoting so much of your waking hours (and probably in your dreams as well) focusing on me. And if you won't do this for me, do it for yourself, your own health and well being.
You'll know when my obsession w/you gets worrisome: You'll show up as my avatar.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Wonder how many lined up to participate in this study:rockon:
"SUNY Buffalo received $390,000 to study young adults who drink malt liquor and smoke marijuana. Of course if they had used that money to pay for more kids to go to school they would have less people to study"
Sign me up for this one: Washington State University got $148,438 to analyze the use of marijuana in conjunction with medications like morphine.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
and I thank you to stop devoting so much of your waking hours (and probably in your dreams as well) focusing on me. And if you won't do this for me, do it for yourself, your own health and well being.
I think Dan would tell you that wouldn't be a dream, it would be a nightmare! :scared:

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sign me up for this one: Washington State University got $148,438 to analyze the use of marijuana in conjunction with medications like morphine.
Yeah could I have a little MJ to go with my oxycodone!! Wonder what the GPA is at WSU:smokin:

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion about what is wasteful and what is worthwhile spending. I'm sure some things on this list that I would veto others of you would keep. Also, "news" stories are often biased. It is hard to know what's true. Dexter's acticle may be 100% true. On the other hand, I googled the money being wasted on the abandoned train station in Lancaaster PA and this is what I found [may or may not be true]:

On June 16 and 17, several media figures repeated Sen. Tom Coburn's (R-OK) claim that "[n]early $10 million" in stimulus funds is being used "to renovate an abandoned train station that hasn't been used in 30 years." In fact, as Coburn's own report on "100 stimulus projects" mentions, while the 97-year-old stone station house in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, has been closed for 30 years, "[t]he station's platform currently serves more than 80,000 passengers a year." Indeed, the Elizabethtown Amtrak station has reportedly nearly doubled its number of passengers since 2003-2004 and, according to the Pennsylvania State Department of Transportation, has had the highest increase in ridership in the past two years of any station along the Keystone corridor.

Moreover, the Elizabethtown Amtrak stop does not currently comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If the station is not renovated to comply with the ADA by 2010, the U.S. Department of Transportation has may shut it down -- a fact not mentioned in Coburn's report. "

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I like the one where the government claimed they saved 76 jobs at a company........and the company only has like 54 employees. Must be that new math.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You'll know when my obsession w/you gets worrisome: You'll show up as my avatar.
:spit:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
As part of my job, I check fedbizopps every day looking for government contracting opportunities. This is my current favorite; the estimated cost of the project is between $250,000 and $500,000. (The govt. only gives a cost range when advertising.)

Z--Reshape tubing hill at Fort McCoy, WI
Solicitation Number: W911SA10B0001
Agency: Department of the Army
Office: Army Contracting Command, MICC

That's right. As much as a half a million dollars to reshape a tubing hill. I can't quite figure out what is wrong with the current tubing hill, but apparently it's in pretty bad shape.

I don't know how you justify expenditures like this. Our company's gotten more than our share of Recovery Act projects, but they've all been stuff that makes sense, new HVAC systems, renovating elevators, canteen renovations, lots of painting and flooring projects. But a tubing hill? Should the federal government really be spending this kind of money on projects like this? Personally, I don't think so.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
No where on that list do I see stimulus money for new siding on the labs4life's house. I'm upset. I will be willing to pay for the sign at the end of the street showing my good neighbors where their tax dollars are spent. Just once I would like to be the recipient of "Stupid Money". It doesn't even have to be taxpayer money. Just give some of that good ole stupid money.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Both of these studies will probably one day be used in the fight for marijuana decriminalization.
The. horror. :hat:

If this author really hated wasteful spending he'd be all for the legalization (and subsequent regulation and taxation) of marijuana.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Some of these may indeed be worthwhile expenditures, but not for a stimulus bill. Given that unemployment continues to hover around 10%, foreclosures still happening ion record numbers, and folks still not spending, seems to me the only thing that has been stimulated is the greed of those who want to waste taxpayer money for their own gain.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Some of these may indeed be worthwhile expenditures, but not for a stimulus bill. Given that unemployment continues to hover around 10%, foreclosures still happening ion record numbers, and folks still not spending, seems to me the only thing that has been stimulated is the greed of those who want to waste taxpayer money for their own gain.
Now Guy your just being a killjoy and your making to much dang sense:wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts