Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my front door down this spring to paint the exterior of it (paint is fading) and we are getting a nice storm door installed as well. However, I have never been satisfied with the interior color of the front door. All of my interior doors are wood except the entrance doors which are white (hollow metal). My trim is all wood too. I have no clue what to paint the door! The wall color is Belgium Chocolate (a darker brown).

Unfortunately, I only have a picture of the back (garage) door. However, these are the exact colors of the front. We used the Belgium Chocolate as the accent wall and then the khaki as the main color. You can see an example of the white door and the wood door. What would you do? I think I want to blend the door a bit so that it doesn't stick out, none of our colors are white. What would you do?

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
If you want it to blend in more, I think I would paint it the cocoate brown of the wall it's in. I don't think the lighter kahki color would look right somehow, and I don't see adding another color to the room.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I agree, I would paint it the color of the wall it is situated on if you don't want it to stick out. Or, try to match the trim color as closely as possible.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think the white is fine....I think it would look kind of weird the same color as the wall. My mom's old house had wood trim and all the exterior doors were either white or wood.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
I think the white is fine....I think it would look kind of weird the same color as the wall. My mom's old house had wood trim and all the exterior doors were either white or wood.
This ! Jules ! but from what you are saying you will go with the matching door colour !

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This ! Jules ! but from what you are saying you will go with the matching door colour !
Not necessarily, if everyone else thinks white doesn't stick out I'll probably leave it white....just not sure if it sticks out or if I am being overly anal. The white looks a bit better in the kitchen because of the white appliances but the area by the front door has not appliances or any other white. I'm just curious what works best :)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
In the picture you provided, I think the white is actually fine. It fits with the appliances. If it stands out in your other location, maybe go with the khaki since it's closer to the wood color of the other doors and goes with the walls. Alternatively, you could just try to tone down the harshness of the white contrast and soften it to an ivory or ecru that would work with the other brown tones.

I like your kitchen, BTW.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with the door colour itself, jules.. but if you want to update it, i'd consider changing out the hardware.. that may make it look a bit nicer..

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
My friend had her door faux painted. It looks exactly like a wood door, but it's just like yours. If you're artsy they sell the kits at Home Depot. Maybe get a kit and practice until you get the hang of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts