Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or maybe it's common knowledge, but I had no idea the tradition is to bury only the head, hooves, and heart of thoroughbreds. The big exceptions are Barbaro (cremated) and Secretariat (they built a huge casket and buried him in his entirety).

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Swale is the other horse at Claiborne who is buried whole. He is their first Kentucky Derby winner. Otherwise, yes they usually bury the head, hooves and heart.

Another bit of trivia, Secretariat had the largest heart ever seen on a horse (no it was not diseased). They figure this is why he was so great as a race horse. His heart could pump more blood and oxygen than the average horse.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Yes it is considered a special honor.

Ruffian is/was buried whole in the infield at Belmont.

P

·
0 Posts
AmazonGold said:
I never knew that. It does sound poetic, but also a bit barbaric. :-\
Yeah, so do I really want to know what is done with the rest of the horse?!?!

T

·
0 Posts
I never knew this. Learn something new every day. Now Saturday while everyone is talking about the race and things I can put this out there and see if anyone else knows. I am sure one of the girls know, she is from Kentucky.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I knew that about Secretariet, but I didn't know Ruffian was also buried in her entirety. But it does make sense.
See, I'm a horse nut without horses...weird! haha!

Thanks for sharing though, very interesting.

D

·
0 Posts
Kimmers said:
I knew that about Secretariet, but I didn't know Ruffian was also buried in his entirety. But it does make sense.
See, I'm a horse nut without horses...weird! haha!

Thanks for sharing though, very interesting.
Ruffian was a she. And she was SPECTACULAR!!! I cried all day when she broke down.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Typo on my part.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
NikkiB said:
Did you know that the foundation sires for Thoroughbreds are primarily Arabians?
All thoroughbreds can trace their ancestry back to one of 3 sires. The Darley Arabian, the Godolphin Arabian and the Byerly Turk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts