Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
My girl Bunker would have a much better chance of getting that hip replacement she's going to need if the medical costs were deductible.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Yes, please. I spend more on vet bills than on my own health bills. It would help if I could get some type of tax deduction for caring for a pet.

G

·
Just say your dog is used for therapy or something creative.

We write off Maggie. Lunches, gas, hunting trips, hotels, all kinds of stuff. Anytime we talk about her or have her with us. (everytime!) - even at work.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Actually what I prefer is if my place of work would just give me benefit dollars that I could use as I wish. Like for a petsitter, dog vet visits. That would be really great. After all they are not having to pay for anyone else on my health insurance,etc. I'm a bargain so to speak. Will it happen? Well maybe after pigs start flying.

G

·
It was a little easier for us because we were in the business that allowed us to use Maggie (and our other dog Abbey for years) Guiding backpacking/flyfishing/hunting trips. We also have a great tax guy that uses his dogs in various ways as write-offs. (Too confusing for me)

They still are more expensive in the long run! Dog food, supplies, vet bills, etc. But well worth it.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
It's a good idea for current pet owners, but I can see it being abused. People will collect pets like some do children for tax deductions.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I think it would only work if you had to show proof of vet visits, etc. Maybe write off rabies shots (since they are mandatory) and if you had a life saving surgery done ... just routine care would get way out of control.

You can write off foster care as a tax deduction, if any one is thinking about it! ;D As long as the rescue group you are doing foster care for is 401(3)(c).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts