Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a girl was kept from a teaching degree because of a picture on myspace. It was a few day before she was finished all together. It showed her drinking form a cup with a Pirates hat on the caption was drunkin pirate. She was 27 years old not sure why the pic was so offensive. I understand being professional but I think most people have had a picture taken of them while drinking. I wish I could get that woman to talk to my neice, her my space would make you cringe. I fear later it will be problematic for her.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Never put in Myspace what you wouldn't put on a resume.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I just went and watched the article. I suspect because the school district where she was student teaching refused to let her come back she didn't complete her teaching program hence no degree in education only in English. I agree don't post anything on My Space you don't want an employer to see.

B

·
0 Posts
You know, I agree with the statement "never put on myspace what you wouldn't put on a resume" but I find it offensive that this woman can't be seen having a good time at a party...

but....

a drunk driving first year law student can get away with hitting a cop and almost killing him, can go to court, LAUGH ABOUT IT and get the charges dismissed and still get her law license a couple of years from now.

It's not as if this woman in the myspace picture was hurting anyone. She committed no crime.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
BudGirl8 said:
You know, I agree with the statement "never put on myspace what you wouldn't put on a resume" but I find it offensive that this woman can't be seen having a good time at a party...

It's not as if this woman in the myspace picture was hurting anyone. She committed no crime.
I didn't read the article but I know many employers are looking at Myspace and sites like it. The women certainly didn't do anything wrong or illegal. The employer also doesn't have to hire her.

Billboards along highways get the same traffic as Myspace.

B

·
0 Posts
I know they didn't have to hire her...I just find some of this kind of moronic. If it were something illegal I could absolutely see her being held responsible for it.

There's just days where I find the standards in this country to be ridiculous. Kill someone, maim someone...well, you can be rehabbed or slapped on the wrist.

But HEAVEN FORBID you post a picture on a website showing yourself acting like a fool in a costume with a drink in your hand or you might never get a job in your chosen profession. Sheesh.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
labs4life said:
Never put in Myspace what you wouldn't put on a resume.
Heck, I take it one step further. DON'T HAVE A MYSPACE. :laugh:

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
BudGirl8 said:
I know they didn't have to hire her...I just find some of this kind of moronic. If it were something illegal I could absolutely see her being held responsible for it.

There's just days where I find the standards in this country to be ridiculous. Kill someone, maim someone...well, you can be rehabbed or slapped on the wrist.

But HEAVEN FORBID you post a picture on a website showing yourself acting like a fool in a costume with a drink in your hand or you might never get a job in your chosen profession. Sheesh.

I know, it's ridiculous. It makes you feel like we have to walk on eggshells to succeed. I really like to keep my professional life seperate from my personal life. I don't bring my personal life to work and I certainly want my employer to keep his nose out of my homelife. I think that distinction has been blurred over the years.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Not surprising, lots of employers check the Internet for information on potential employees (even current employees). One of these days, people will realize the Internet is a very public thing. You don't post drunken pictures of yourself in the local newspaper, not sure why you'd want to on the Internet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts