Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone from Alabama. I know this has been asked before, but do you know of any really good interactive toys? I am not talking about treat balls or chew toys, Sedona has all of those, but something she really has to think about and accomplish. I remember someone posting a type of toy that you hide a treat in and the dog has to find it and it was a little difficult. Sedona goes out early morning and late evening with her daddy-man, but during the day you can only play so much fetch and such inside the house. I want to challenge her mind as well. I have tried hide and seek, but she just chews up the stuffies. As we all know our labs are very intelligent so hopefully some of you will have some good ideas for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Second the kong - but fill with wet dog food and then stick it in the freezer. I also found a hollow ball (Okra Ball) http://www.activedogsupplies.com/066225.html That I smear some wet dog food in, fill will kibble - plug the holes with wet dog food and then freeze.
If you can find one - a Buster Ball is good at dispensing treats. They look like oversized dice - fill with treats/kibble then shake up and give. The pup has to move the block to dispense the treats.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I think it was one of those things where they have to slide the wood pieces to open it and get the treat?? That's the only other one I can think of.

You can also play the go-find-your-treats game.. :) I take a bunch of treats, break them up if they are big, and hide pieces all over the house.. under the edge of a blanket, under a frisbee/toy, etc and then Abbey has to go find them. It makes them think and use their sniffer! :D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We play hide and go seek in the house all of the time with different toys of different materials. We started out very simply, and progressed to more difficult games. I let him sniff the toy, and then hide it. When we first started I would put him in a sit and stay and let him watch me hide the toy, and then progressed to making him stay in one room and hiding it in another. I now hide toys all over the house, and tell him to find them one at a time. They all have names, and when I tell him to find the football . . . he finds the football. When I tell him to find the rubber bone, he finds the rubber bone. I have never given him treats when he finds the toys, so I assume he just really likes to find stuff. Sometimes it takes him 10 minutes or more to find a toy, and it sure gives him a good mental workout. His whole body changes when we play this game. Normally he is very relaxed, but when I tell him to find something he holds his tail very high and wags it back and forth very quickly while he searches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts