Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing the pictures some of us are posting with insect bites on their dogs got me thinking (yes, that's where the smoke was coming from) ... is there a good and safe insect repellent for dogs? I know they are out there, made specifically for dogs, but do they work? Is there a more holistic method? Cybil never seemed bothered by mosquitoes or black flies or anything ... my Mom's poor dog gets eaten alive and nothing seems to work. :(

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Diatomaceous earth (food grade) is safe for pets and humans but deadly to insects...it dissolves their exoskeleton or something like that. I haven't tried it but I would like to as an alternative to Frontline, Advantix, etc. You can sprinkle it around your house and yard, too.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Diatomaceous earth is very dangerous for use on animals. It is finally ground seashells and is like ground glass and can get in the lungs. If you put it on the ground wear a mask to prevent getting it in your lungs.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I have used DE in vegetable gardens - it shreds slugs underbellies. I don't think I would apply it to my dog.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
There are 2 grades of DE, food grade and horticultural grade. The food grade is safe for use around pets and humans.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I put cedar chips on areas of the yard where they like to lie down. Last year, they haven't had fleas or ticks and I didn't need Frontline.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
We use this on CJ's belly during black fly season. Pet-Guard Insecticide Gel from virbac. We only need to use it about one month or so since the flies usually are only bad for a short period during spring.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Laura, I'll have to look into it! :)

I know someone who puts Avon Skin So Soft on their dog. I don't want to do that for a number of reasons - it can't be good if the dog licks it most importantly, and less importantly I cannot stand the smell of that stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts