Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be hitting my aunt's cottage for a week next month and no doubt there will still be swarms of mosquitos, and probably blackflies, and their evil kin. We use the regular stuff on us humans, but I would like to be able to give Yeller and Abby something too since they will be the prey once we get ignored.

Poor Zilla gets huge welts fromthem too,sometimes and if I can help her not get bit more then she has to I would like to try.

TIA

·
Registered
3,487 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
K9 Advantix....

It works on Ticks, Fleas and Mosquitos. Also, ticks will not bite your dog like they will if you use Frontline plus. This is what they claim, not me

Have fun.

·
Registered
459 Posts
K9 Advantix and I use an equine spray (also made for dogs) from time to time when flies are bad. It's Bronco brand (white bottle) and does a wonderful job! I just picked up another bottle at a local Tractor Supply Company store.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so if I understand this right, K9 Ad actually repels mosquitos before they land?? So then I should not use Sentinel this month but instead get them on K9 to prepare for the cottage then? Sentinel is our heartworm,flea, roundworm and whipworm med, I'm actually now thinking I should keep them on it too? Heck, I'm confused. I better call the vet.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use K9 advantix in the spring/summer/fall as I personally think it is stronger then Frontline Plus when it comes to Ticks and Mosquitos. As for Fleas, they are probably the same. In the winter, I sometimes switch to Frontline as I live in a colder weather environment.

Not sure what Sentinel does. I use something else for monthly heartworm prev. I think mine is called Heartguard or Interceptor. Neither works on fleas, ticks or mosquitos.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Karina- I wouldn't use both K9 Advantix and Sentinal. Too much poision in their system, imo.

I'd try that Burt's Bees oil. Or something else along those lines.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bob Pr. said:
Glad to hear about the horse/dog fly repellent at TSC.  Will get some today. Thanks
It's something I found a few years ago while trying to help my old lab with fly problems.... they would irritate him so much he would scratch his ears until they bled which made the fly problem even worse :'(. After using the Bronco spray, no more problems :). The front of the bottle even references use for dogs so it should be safe!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
mollyrock said:
you can use neem oil. It is supposed to repel bugs without all the poison.
neem oil works great for everything. It's got a funky smell, but you can mix it.

The bugs definately hate it. I have more information on neem oil on my blog.

It's definately my personal first choice for all natural pest control. Citranella candles might work for mosquitoes too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yikes....so confusing :confused:....we had the same issue a few weeks back when we went on a walking trail through the woods and was going to try to find a replent for Denali. He is currently using frontline plus and we have mosquito's and black flies that can be a really problem at times. Should we be concerned or switch to advatix?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have Saba on revolution 6 months out of the year for the fleas, heartworms and all that other stuff. We go camping a lot in the summer and I found that it also helps repelling mosquitoes, flies etc.
He's never had a problem.
But that's just my pup. I think it wouldn't hurt to get the Burt's Bees spray. Their stuff is usually really good.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, this is a crazy old thread. Crazy.

Anyways, I use the horse stuff only I get the black bottle with the pink on it, and it works fantastic!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts