Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you consider shooting an animal that is suffering as inhumane?

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Define animal and suffering please? If, say, deer, hit by car, needs done. If, say, cat torn in cat fight - try to get to vet even if feral cat...

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking about any animal, with absolutely no hope of recovery.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
depends on the situation, the animal, and the skill of the person holding the gun. There's no reason whatsoever to shoot a household pet, however.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I'm all for euthanasia for a suffering animal who truly has no hope of recovery. But isn't there an alternative to blasting the poor creature with a gunshot? That seems so barbaric.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm all for euthanasia for a suffering animal who truly has no hope of recovery. But isn't there an alternative to blasting the poor creature with a gunshot? That seems so barbaric.
I agree. Some people would argue that shooting it is quicker and completely painless for the animal, whereas euthanizing doesn't always stop the suffering immediately.

Got into a discussion with someone yesterday, 'tis why I'm asking....

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Nope, not at all.

This sounds gross and horrible, but in my travels I've come across some pretty hurt raccoons in my time. What do you do at 1:00 a.m. in the middle of nowhere and it can't even drag itself off the road?

I'll admit, I've re-ran it over. I wasn't the original runner over, but to end it, I've done what I thought was the right thing. At least I knew it was over for it. I wasn't thrilled, and Lord knows even now, years later I've had that unpleasing image in my brain, but what else can you do? Leave it there to suffer?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you too, Karina! You absolutely did the right thing.

So why is OK in some situations and not in others??

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I'm guessing that most people wouldn't take a gun on a family pet - nor would I, or on something that might be saved - I think that's the "some situation" scenario.

or, if you've never held a gun before - then you might not be doing it a favour at all.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I think one has to weigh all the alternatives, the length of time suffering would have to be endured, what means are available and then choose the one that results in less suffering.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
As others have said, depends, and in my opinion on the skill of the person holding the gun and the animal involved. A well placed shot is instant and far more "humane" to a wild animal. A beloved pet, well personally I'd go the vet route unless the pain were extreme and taking it to the vet would take hours. Not sure I could shoot any of my kids no matter what the situation.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Agreed.

We had a sick raccoon with rabies in our backyard a few years ago so we called animal control. The guy just came and shot him twice. :(

I'm so glad I wasn't there.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
No! If the gun handler knows what they are doing- not everyone knows how to do and do quick and painlesssly-I've seen it done on my Grandpa's farm when growing up-In the cases I saw, it absolutly was the right thing to do- IMO

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
The method does not matter as long as it's as quick as possible.

I find neither a bullet nor a needle as barbaric. What is the difference? The noise?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Not for a pet.

But for wild animals that are suffering, well, as others have said, that depends on the skill of the person shooting. I know my granddad used to shoot myxy rabbits on his small holding if he came across any. Putting them out of their misery was far more humane than letting them suffer.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
In all reality, it shouldn't matter. The result is the same. Personally, I would have a hard time shooting a pet . . . or knowing that my pet had been shot. I have had pets put to sleep at the vet's office and found it very peaceful. I don't think the result would be as peaceful if a gunshot had been involved.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts