Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a women's magazine while at the hairdresser a couple of months ago and saw a recommendation in it. I decided to give it a try.

Well it worked for me. They said it would brighten the skin as well as get rid of the dead skin. It did.

What is it? Sugar. Regular sugar that you use in coffee or bake with. Wet your face and gently rub a handful of sugar on your face. Do it once a day and follow up with a good moisturizer. Something in the sugar works with your skin, so the article said.

Just wanted to pass it along. Heck of a lot cheaper than the stuff that you buy in the store.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
You skipped a step.

Gently buff facial skin with the sugar.

Allow the dogs to lick it off.

Enjoy the healthy glow.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It works for me. I know Bo Derek said she uses cornmeal to scrub her face.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oooo, really?! Cool, I'll try it. Scrub with sugar and use Vaseline handlotion as a moisturizer. How cheap is that?! By the way, I've had awesome results using regular lotion instead of expensive "moisturizers". :)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
yep, you can also add oils to it to make sugar scrubs in the bath. you would pay a small fortune for them in the store.
another thing that is cheap and good for moisturizing is olive oil. just a TINY bit on your damp hands and pat on your face.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
another thing that is cheap and good for moisturizing is olive oil. just a TINY bit on your damp hands and pat on your face.
Yikes. I already have oily skin, wouldn't that stay greasy all day long?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
yep, you can also add oils to it to make sugar scrubs in the bath. you would pay a small fortune for them in the store.

Or, fall face-first into your Caesar Salad!

Narcolepsy, anyone??

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I love sugar and salt scrubs before a shower, it makes sense that a sugar scrub would be good for your face, too. I will definitely try that!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been called a lot of things, but sweet ain't one of them. ;)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Yikes. I already have oily skin, wouldn't that stay greasy all day long?

I used to have oily skin until I started using all natural facial care products. Burt's Bees cleansers have oils in them, but they don't make your face oily at all. I also have one I got from Trader Joe's that I love, too. I also put an oil on my face every day to help keep my skin clear--tea tree oil (I mix it with witch hazel on a cotton makeup pad).

I haven't tried sugar but the BB Willowbark scrub uses crushed pecan shells for the scrubby part.

The thought of putting body lotion on my face gives me the heebie jeebies, seriously. I hate lotion.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Sugar is a very old trick. We used to do that in jr high, but just sugar, nothing else like lotion (ew!). Baking soda is excellent, it has very fine grit & is antibacterial too. I mix a bit with Cetaphil cleanser and it keeps your pores clear. You can use brown sugar as well, the grains are finer than white. That & aspirin masks, etc.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
nothing else like lotion (ew!).
Why "ew"? It works better than anything I've tried. Fine lines are virtually disappearing.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
allie, what ratio do you use for the tea tree oil/witch hazel toner?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Why "ew"? It works better than anything I've tried. Fine lines are virtually disappearing.
Ew (for me) because I have sensitive/easily upset skin, so any lotion settling into my pores will give me blackheads. I have to be pretty careful with the moisturizers I use. Not expensive, but the ingredients have to be right. Body lotion is formulated for your body, and too emollient/heavy for my face. I need to cleanse, gently exfoliate (usually salacylic acid, sometimes BS scrub), tone and lightly mositurize, richer lotion at night. I could never use lotion as part of a cleanser, I'd be clogged pore city.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I used to have oily skin until I started using all natural facial care products. Burt's Bees cleansers have oils in them, but they don't make your face oily at all. I also have one I got from Trader Joe's that I love, too. I also put an oil on my face every day to help keep my skin clear--tea tree oil (I mix it with witch hazel on a cotton makeup pad).

I haven't tried sugar but the BB Willowbark scrub uses crushed pecan shells for the scrubby part.

The thought of putting body lotion on my face gives me the heebie jeebies, seriously. I hate lotion.
And oil cleanses oil. Some of the most effective cleansers for oily skin are oils themselves, like the much loves DHC cleanser. :)

ETA, cleansing oils are not the same thing as the emollients in body lotions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts