Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cut a long story short, I have been trying to find a ball that my dog could play with that he would not be able to destroy. He loves to play with a soccer ball but usually ends up puncturing it. There seemed to be nothing out there.....until I found this website......

http://www.boomerball.com/

I ordered the HD Challenger ball NOT the boomer ball. I figured if it is lion proof then it should last. :D I have wasted so much money on toy balls and $5/$10 soccer balls. I was gonna get the Boomer ball for $15. They offer a free replacement on that ball for the first year if the dog chews a hole in it. However, I figured I may as well spend a bit and get something that is indestructable.

I am quite impressed. It is a tough hard plastic ball about the size of a bowling ball. It is not too heavy but you probably wouldnt be kicking it really hard. It does have a nut that unscrews so you could presumably fill it with water if you wanted. The hole is small so you prob would not put anything else inside it. My dog went balistic when he saw it and played with it non-stop. Unlike a football, he cannot get a grip on it to walk off with it. After a couple of hours play he only managed a few small marks. This ball will last a lifetime no doubt. I'd be curious to see what the boomerball is like which costs $15.

The only thing negative I have to say is that you do not get a shipping choice. Shipping is added on after you place your order. I was given priority shipping which added $15 to the cost. However, this is only a minor detail and I am sure you could e-mail the owner if you so wished.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Someone had left one of those at the dog park today! I thought it was nothing. Turns out I should have snagged it while I had the chance. :)

Kevin

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
He looks so happy with his big, giant lion ball! Daisy will need one of those too now, of course! Thanks for telling us about it!

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He looks so happy with his big, giant lion ball! Daisy will need one of those too now, of course! Thanks for telling us about it!
He is obsessed with it. I have to try and post some video because it is so funny when he drags it backwards. When I take it away, he gets so upset (whimpering).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Glad to read that your dog is having so much fun with the ball. But, I have to give you a word of warning. Our GSD, Tasha, also has one and just loves it. However, she played with it so hard that she wore down her lower canine teeth and had to have crowns put on them. And, she managed to puncture the ball too. So, I would suggest that you check on your dog's teeth regularly and if they look like they are getting worn, maybe you should limit access to the ball.

I'll try to post a couple of pics of her teeth, the ball and the "princess":

·
Registered
242 Posts
Guess I don't know what I'm doing with regards to the pics. Don't know why the one is posted twice.

Let's try this again. The chewed up boomer ball:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have one of those for one of my horses. It's still going strong after 4-5 years. BTW, instead of adding water, you can remove the nut and add a few small rocks or BB's so that the ball makes noise. The noise makes it more stimulating. :eek:

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Glad to read that your dog is having so much fun with the ball. But, I have to give you a word of warning. Our GSD, Tasha, also has one and just loves it. However, she played with it so hard that she wore down her lower canine teeth and had to have crowns put on them. And, she managed to puncture the ball too. So, I would suggest that you check on your dog's teeth regularly and if they look like they are getting worn, maybe you should limit access to the ball.

I'll try to post a couple of pics of her teeth, the ball and the "princess":
Wow thanks for the photos and warning. :eek:

Love the pic of Tasha. German shepards are great dogs, I worked with one when I was younger. Sorry to hear that happened to her teeth. :(

I got the challenger ball rather than the boomer ball. The ball seems to be too heavy/thick to penetrate but I could be wrong (it is soft enough to make surface marks). However, I'll definitely keep my eye on Dexter. I limit his time with the ball and I certainly wouldnt want him to have the same issue. Thanks again for letting me know. :)

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have one of those for one of my horses. It's still going strong after 4-5 years. BTW, instead of adding water, you can remove the nut and add a few small rocks or BB's so that the ball makes noise. The noise makes it more stimulating. :eek:
What kind of horses do you have? I used to work with Arab race horses when I was younger.

Thats a good Idea with the ball. Whats strange is on my ball the hole is super small to the point where you would struggle to put anything in it. I will try and get a photo to show what I mean.

Is yours the boomer ball? (I have the challenger ball)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Those balls are similar to the Jolly Ball. I bought one 17years ago for my first lab when he was a pup and needed something indestructable. He did not like it...frustrated him that he could not grab it in his mouth(it is very heard plastic) and it layed in the side yard hidden by ground cover....that is....until I got Guthrie. When Guthrie found it he was thrilled...it is his favorite outside toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8efoQuXrQ&feature=channel_page

I believe Jolly balls were originally made for horses. I love this video of this horse having a fun time with the handled version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NQ0psKXr1s&feature=channel_page

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those balls are similar to the Jolly Ball. I bought one 17years ago for my first lab when he was a pup and needed something indestructable. He did not like it...frustrated him that he could not grab it in his mouth(it is very heard plastic) and it layed in the side yard hidden by ground cover....that is....until I got Guthrie. When Guthrie found it he was thrilled...it is his favorite outside toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8efoQuXrQ&feature=channel_page

I believe Jolly balls were originally made for horses. I love this video of this horse having a fun time with the handled version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NQ0psKXr1s&feature=channel_page
Great videos - thanks for posting them. :) Guthrie really likes that ball! That is exactly what Dexter does.

...by the way your house is amazing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts