Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice for me about this? I know for future dogs one way we'll deal is by getting rid of all the carpet and only having washable rugs! But for now...

If you google canine incontinence a ton of homeopathic treatment sites come up. Does anyone have experience with that?

Do dogs really tolerate doggie diapers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Some times incontinence is not a bladder control issue, but a cognitive problem. You may want to discuss canine cognitive meds with your vet

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Do dogs really tolerate doggie diapers?
The answer is yes they do. I am working through this myself with Reggie. He has some control but may not make it out the door if he's excited or has been in a long time. I think it is related to his DM, so if you think the incontinence is due to something else, you can try and treat it. I dont think there is anything I can really do for old Reggie.

So I've been working thought the diaper thing for overnight and long days. I was sure he'd rip them off or try to eat them but he has left them totally alone. One thing I've learned is that not all diapers are the same. I had some re-usable one that worked well but I didn't realize it was chaffing him and he got a nasty open wound. That is all taken care of, but I'm now a bit concerned when I see something that has some tight elastic band. I found if I put some sort of liner in that covers the elastic band seam, it works. Right now I am trying some human adult diaper pants. I am able to pull it over both his legs and it functions like a belly band but without a hard seam.

Good luck to you. If you need to talk or want some support, feel free to IM me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The answer is yes they do. I am working through this myself with Reggie. He has some control but may not make it out the door if he's excited or has been in a long time. I think it is related to his DM, so if you think the incontinence is due to something else, you can try and treat it. I dont think there is anything I can really do for old Reggie.

So I've been working thought the diaper thing for overnight and long days. I was sure he'd rip them off or try to eat them but he has left them totally alone. One thing I've learned is that not all diapers are the same. I had some re-usable one that worked well but I didn't realize it was chaffing him and he got a nasty open wound. That is all taken care of, but I'm now a bit concerned when I see something that has some tight elastic band. I found if I put some sort of liner in that covers the elastic band seam, it works. Right now I am trying some human adult diaper pants. I am able to pull it over both his legs and it functions like a belly band but without a hard seam.

Good luck to you. If you need to talk or want some support, feel free to IM me.
Using human diapers, what do you do about his tail?

We believe Otis' problem is lack of sensation due to his DM also. Vet doesn't believe medication will help him much, if any, so I don't want to put him on another prescription for nothing.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
So this is my first attempt at human diapers. I actually picked them up today. I went with the adult since baby and toddlers were too small. For my first attempt, I was going to cut a small hole in it for the tail but had a bright idea and was able to put both of Reggie's legs through both leg holes so it looks like a belly band. I had gotten a doggie belly band but it also seemed to have some tight elastic seams so I am a little gunshy about giving Reggie a sore again. I may give it a try though.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Betsy. I had never heard of belly bands before so I was confused! That looks like it may work. Definitely going to have to give it a try.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have used the bellybands. They are ok for dogs that mark but don't work that great for a full blow pee. Jake and Dutch and Woodstock all have (had) them. You have to get them on tight so when they lift the leg to pee and then you have to either pad it with a diaper or ahem something else or you are constantly washing it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm sorry, Melis. It's so hard watching our babies get older. :( I hope you find something that works for him.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have used the bellybands. They are ok for dogs that mark but don't work that great for a full blow pee. Jake and Dutch and Woodstock all have (had) them. You have to get them on tight so when they lift the leg to pee and then you have to either pad it with a diaper or ahem something else or you are constantly washing it.
I think that would be okay then, Sandy. It's never a full-blown pee. He dribbles while he's lying down and then sometimes as he's walking toward the back door (especially if he's had a really hard time standing up and he seems a bit disoriented) he'll start to dribble a trail as he walks.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
yep, then it should work. i actually like the ones from drs. foster and smith better than the first ones shown. they seemed to stay on better. gosh i think i've tried them all. lol i got started with them when jake was here and he and dutch has marking matches. (rolls eyes) woody is going to have to start wearing his at night or else go in the crate because he is starting to leave me surprises in the am.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts