Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this time of high unemployment why does the company I work for keep the most inept, idiotic, worthless people on the payroll? Surely there are better, more qualified people out there. AHHHHHHH! I can't take it anymore! Ok, I feel better now . . . and I feel extremely blessed to be employed (even if it means working with these morons)! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Totally understand the frustration, but here are a couple things that might explain.
(1) Is there a Union Contract involved. Are cutbacks seniority dictated.
(2) Has the company historically let the newest hires go first. That can change but is a culture thing.
(3) Are the losers being kept, the immediate supervisor's pets. Need to get rid of supervisor.
(4) Who is making the decisions on who goes> Do they even know the people or what they do?
(5) Does the company have an annual performance review? Are they real, or just something done to say they were done?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No union, but I agree that it is a management thing. I think the average employment for a person from department is 5 years. What I don't understand is how in 5 years people haven't learned to do their job! Sure they get annual reviews, but they are based on things like: Getting expense reports filed on time, getting reports done within 24 hours, etc., etc. I work with one person that says to me (at least twice a week), "Oh, the lightbulb just went on." :eek: Really? After 5 years, it just came on?!? Now if we could figure out how to keep it on! Never, it will be out again tomorrow.

It is so frustrating knowing that there are lots of unemployed people out there, and the ones that are employed don't give the extra effort!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
If your average head is there 5 years, something is wrong. Are the people leaving voluntarily, or being let go. If voluntary, there is a problem with salary, benefits, and general culture of the organization. If being let go, there is probably something the company is doing to control expenses. Like qualifying for some benefit (extra vacation days) or vesting in something like a retirement plan, and the copmany is paying the penalty for the result.

Regarding the 'extra effort' comment. I work for a large company. It used to be a team effort between the company and the employees. The employees would do whatever was necessary to be successful. They liked their jobs and the company. When times slowed down, the company would invest in internal projects to make the product better, the process better, special training opportunities, etc. Found things to keep the employees employed, busy, and ready to do it again when business turned around. Not any more. The company now wants more from less, and when thing slow down, the people are out the door. And the company doesn't want the back when things improve. The company wants new hires at lower salary, lesser benefits such as minimum vacation time. The result is the best people are continually shopping for a better job and better company. They leave. The company is left with the mediocre or less.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
You have to have morons. They are the baseline data set for comparing all others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts