Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset right now I can't think straight....I can barely type I am so upset...my rescue Honey, she has heartworms, you guys know that. Well the vets office (not mine) I rescued her from told me Thursday that the immiticide injections were on back order so they were going to do the slow route with her and that was just the heartgaurd med once a month. I asked about restricting immobility and they said no she should be fine. Well..............i went home and did my own research on heartgaurd treatments and was puzzled. Also saddened that she did not get treated with the injections. I called that vet today, the vet tech said, oh I was meaning to call you because they did do the injections and she does need to be restricted on immobility. I was like WHAT?? WTF....I had her out Sat. off leash playing...and been playing with her in the back yard. I was PISSED. I could of hurt her with activity and not even know. I am so angry right now....I am trying to do right by this dog...screw training....I am pissed at the vet's office I am pissed at myself...all Honey is going to get from this day on is TLC....not that she wasn't to begin with...but my attitude towards her is not so much concern of obedience as it is making sure what time she has left will be comfortable and happy. <<<SIGH>>>>

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Prayers for Honey.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree -- time to get a new vet. Is there a Labrador Retriever club there that you can get recommendations from?

The vet office you're using sounds too disorganized to be safe.

I checked with www.anywho.com and there are over 100 vets in the Pensacola area.

The hitch is how to find a good one.

Isn't there a girl's name followed by the word "list" (like "Ellie's List" but Ellie isn't the name I want) that has online ratings of doctors, dentists, contractors, a whole variety of service providers? That might be another source with suggestions.

A problem with vets is that we see their attitude with our pets and make the sometimes faulty generalization and assumption that if they act like they love our pet then they must be skilled in treatment.

Wrong!

That's why we use Kansas State's College of VetMed Teaching Hospital

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, no, no...that bad vets office is the one I adopted her from. I use to use them awhile ago. I see a new vet in a different city. I will be seeing him today. Yes, she did receive the injections..thats why I am so upset because they didn't tell me and I let her be active. What a day! I'll let you guys know what my vet says.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I will be praying that everything get straightened out and on a smooth road to recovery!!!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I'm surprised that she felt like playing off lead. When Jefferson was treated for heartworms (with the injections) he felt TERRIBLE for days afterwards. No way did he want to play.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I am sorry to hear this. Just in case, I would have your regular vet contact the "confused" vet's office and have them double check on what was done. I don't think I'd trust them.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I second having your vet call the one who may or may not have given her the injections. Glad you're taking her there now, and good thoughts for Honey and you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts