Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My yellow lab Socrates was a brave and noble dog, and my best friend for 13 years. During his last year and a half he was unable to move his hind legs because of arthritis and myelopathy, and for the last year had decreasing use of his front legs as well. But he always loved to eat, to have his chest rubbed, and to go for rides on his cart or in the car.

I finally had him put to rest at the age of 14 after it was discovered that he had blood pooling in his abdomen from a spleen or liver tumor.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So sorry for your loss...I'm in the same boat right now with my yellow lab...He's starting to "walk like a drunken sailor" on his back legs...we rate his days and are trying to decide when enough is enough...but like yours, he still has a love of the car rides, food, and playing bitey face only with mumma...They keep saying "you'll know", but I dont know...... You are a brave person and I'm sure he's thanking you for easing his pain...:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hind legs

When Socrates' hind legs began to go he was also walking like a drunken sailor--stumbling, crossing his legs and tripping himself, walking on his knuckles. I started to put him down the first time he couldn't get up and pooped in his bed, but instead I tried giving him prednisone, 20 mg per day. It was like a miracle at first, although he began to decline again after awhile. Still, it gave him an extra 4 or 5 months of mobility.

(Of course with Prednisone you have to cut back to every other day after a week or two or it causes the adrenal glands to atrophy. It also can be hard on the pancreas.)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
When Socrates' hind legs began to go he was also walking like a drunken sailor--stumbling, crossing his legs and tripping himself, walking on his knuckles. I started to put him down the first time he couldn't get up and pooped in his bed, but instead I tried giving him prednisone, 20 mg per day. It was like a miracle at first, although he began to decline again after awhile. Still, it gave him an extra 4 or 5 months of mobility.

(Of course with Prednisone you have to cut back to every other day after a week or two or it causes the adrenal glands to atrophy. It also can be hard on the pancreas.)
We upped his meds to their max and noticed the first week he was better, not as much now...he gets 2 Rimadyl per day and 9 Tramadol....My vet didnt say anything about prednisone...I'll have to ask...(I'm still hanging on for some kind of hope :eek:, I just hope I'm not being too selfish.)

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Sorry

I am so very sorry for the loss of your pup. I also lost my best friend of almost 14 years back in January. It is so hard to let them go and say goodbye, but they will live in our hearts forever. I truly believe they watch and love us from above...happy and healthy.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts