Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a lot of fun planning a 'little party' for Ben's 2nd birthday. :) Last year we just had family and a couple of kids over the the IL's house for pizza and cake, but this year he has all of his little buddies from the babysitter. And they are all just too cute and funny at this age (about 8-10 kids all together between 2 and 4)!

So we are going to have a backyard party at our house (I'm going to set a rain date, as it MUST be outside) with a CONSTRUCTION THEME! There are lots of ideas on the internet. I've ordered some little plastic hard hats and decorations from eBay, and picked up tool belts with little tools at the dollar store, along with themed plates/napkins/etc. For activities I'll give them stickers to personalize their hard hats, and then DH is going to build a cardboard house that they can paint (washable paints of course) and I picked up little pain trays and rollers/brushes from the dollar store, and we will also have a sand box with trucks and toys... I have a few ideas for some really simple games as well (considering the age group).

I'm thinking that 3:30pm to 6:00pm will be good timing, give 1.5 hours for play, then dinner, cake and gifts. We'll keep the food fairly simple with veggie tray, fruit tray, cheese and crackers, chips & cheesies (Ben's fav), juice boxes (& a few adult beverages for the adults), and hot dogs & hamburgers on the BBQ.... plus we'll have a construction themed cake!

Lots of cute ideas out there for the invitation too... I have them pretty much finished except I want a pic of Foreman Ben in his hard hat and tool belt. I'm using a cheesy opening like "Dump Everything! Ben's 2nd Birthday is Under Construction!", hee hee... oh, and of course a "Dress for Mess" warning!

Ben of course, is oblivious, but I'm quite sure he'll enjoy it when the day comes (not until the end of May)!

So, anyone have any ideas or advice to share on toddler birthday party planning?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Lucky Ben! That all sounds so great!! :)

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
That sounds awesome. The kids will love that. Do you have some old shirts they can wear to paint in?
Make sure you take LOTS of pictures!!!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Can we come??

I've got a leather toolbelt.

...that you're not allowed to ask about.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds awesome. The kids will love that. Do you have some old shirts they can wear to paint in?
Make sure you take LOTS of pictures!!!
Yeah - that would be a good idea too! Either that or I'll make sure their parents bring them something.

Will DEFINITELY post pics!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Sounds like a great party for a 2year old boy!! Cameron was obsessed with anything construction at that age.

Is Ben into Mighty Machines?? Cameron loved that show when he was a toddler.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Sounds like you are on top of everything. Don't be surprised if a bunch of 2 year olds don't want to cooperate with the games. I don't know how daycare people do it! Have fun at the party!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you are on top of everything. Don't be surprised if a bunch of 2 year olds don't want to cooperate with the games. I don't know how daycare people do it! Have fun at the party!
Yeah, I'm expecting that too. lol. That's why I like the sand box and painting the house activities, they can just do their own thing without being too organized. Maybe I'll set up a play-dough activity table too.

The only real "game" I have in mind is to make a kind-of pinata out of cardboard in the shape of a pilon (so, orange cone top, and flat square bottom) by cutting crosses in the bottom, through which a piece of caution tape will be threaded, tied to a "prize" on the inside. So the kids can tug one string of tape and their prize will come out. Obviously something small, light weight, that won't cause injury... maybe candy, chocolate Bear Paws or something!

I feel kind of bad for the 2 little girls we're inviting, I'll have to get pretty stickers for their hard hats, lol. And maybe some girlie prizes for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts