Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted yesterday about the lay offs here.
Well it's all done, 4 people total.
It's so upsetting, saying goodbye to them and being thankful that I still have a job. :(
:mad:

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
That sucks.

Our CEO is still saying no layoffs here. But other companies are laying off, and two of my very close friends at different companies recently got the axe. I feel awful for them, though I know they'll be OK (it looks like one will be getting a job offer very soon, and the other has a temporary stop-gap position that may become permanent if she's lucky). Scary times.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
It is heart wrenching, especially if you are fond of your co-workers. And even though you say you will, nobody ever stays in touch. :(

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Trust me, it's worse being on the receiving end of the axe.

I went back yesterday to pick up all my personal things from the office. I was surprised at all the people who made it a point to come and hug me and tell me they felt the company made a bad choice. I agree - but I also feel that this was meant to be and I will be the better for it. ;)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
i know how it feels. blair recently had his place of employment shut down. he was the ONLY one to keep his job. Thankfully that also means a transfer to another store and he now has a 5 min drive rather than a 40 min drive. But it hit very close to home and is too scary. We have certainly made some cut backs in how we live.

·
Registered
659 Posts
UGH. I was on the receiving end of this at Thanksgiving and was very fortunate to have offers in hand by Christmas.

I am staying in touch with my friends - the people I cared about. Some know what really happened, but others don't. My company wanted to make it look like I was leaving as opposed to being told to leave so I was given some time to pull things together, use their resources (printer etc) for resumes, and stay on the pay for a two week period. It took a little effort to get beyond that initial awkwardness but there were people there who I really loved and want to continue to be friends with.

The rest of them though, BLECH!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I am so sorry for them. In all my years, I've never seen anything as bad as it is now. But, on a positive note.......we will get through this.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
What is happening now is really hard. Often a company will periodically 'clean house' of the lower performers. That doesn't mean these folks are necessarily not good employees. Jack Welch of GE had this philosophy to move out the lowest 10% every year. His goal was to eventually only have the top 10-20% of the world working for him. Nice theory for the business, poor for employees.

This time the companies are pretty much forced to address the downturn in the economy. Its tough deciding who goes, unless in a union where seniority rules. The staff is fully qualified and all good people. Individual companies and individual managers use different guidelines in making the decisions.

(1) Highest paid go first
(2) Near top of their career, more growth unlikely,
(3) Illegal, but single without dependents
(4) Youth with time to recover and easier time finding next position
(5) If there is a company severance package policy, sometimes those that would get the most (have the best chace of finding something before it runs out), sometimes those that would get the least, (save the company money).
(6) The worst situation is when an individual manager exercises his/her bias against a particular class, race, ethnic background, genderm competition, personality conflict.

It is tough for whomever gets the notice. Sometimes hard onthe survivors, but not near as hard as it is on the victim/

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I am very lucky so far. Our company is doing okay, so no cut backs thus far. I would imagine they will be forth-coming if things don't pick-up.

Though I guess, the company I work for is fortunate in that what we do is pretty critical to keeping the power companies, etc. up & running.

·
Banned
2,041 Posts
I got layed off fri , so im here 24/7 lmao

1 - 17 of 17 Posts