Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am fuming right now.

My mom called me last night to tell me that my younger cousin (17yrs old) who lives with my aunt and uncle down in Missouri went and brought home an 8 week old Husky.

She is not the sharpest tool in the shed and let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Anyways, my cousin went to some "breeder" who apparently had 20 puppies there who are all "purebred" and bought one for $350. She didn't clear it with her parents or anything. She is a senior in HS and next year when she goes off to school she said her boyfriend would build a pen and the dog would stay outside. :mad:

So my mom is telling me this story and I automatically said "puppy mill" when she said 20 puppies. That's just ridiculous.

So come to find out, they've had the dog for about a week and it hasn't been acting like a puppy. She was panting a lot, wasn't playing and they knew something was up so they took her to the vet. Turns out that when they did all the tests, there were "spots" all over her lungs. Guess what it is? GROUND WORMS. I've never heard of it but apparently what happens is that even if the mother had ground worms and got treated, some of them go dormant and can get passed on to the puppies. :eek:

Any reputable breeder would do all of the regular tests for hips/elbows/eyes and obviously wouldn't breed a ***** that had this problem with worms. And the fact that there were 20 puppies.. just screams puppy mill. Also the fact that they only wanted $350 for the dog.

My aunt is going to care for the dog, obviously, and is already attached. It just breaks my heart. She's tried to contact this "breeder" multiple times with no success. I would definitely want my money back and I would give this person a piece of my mind, too.

I don't know all of the info yet, but I'm interested to find out more. This is what happens when idiots don't do their research on breeders... I'm not surprised that they can't get a hold of the breeder. They probably got rid of all the puppies and booked it with their money in their pockets.

I told my aunt to keep trying to get in contact with the people, documenting everything, and report them. People shouldn't be allowed to get away with this crap!!!! :mad:

What do you guys think??? What would you do?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I remember how mad I was when Eric's aunt went and got a pet store puppy... some stupid ****-poo thing...

The dog has a HORRIBLE temperament (she has small kids and he doesn't like them, I think he's even bitten a neighborhood kid once), never fully potty trained... never trained at all on any other commands.

She even called Eric after seeing the dog in the store but hadn't purchased him yet... Eric and I both talked to her for like well over an hour over the phone trying to convince her why buying THAT dog would be bad. I told her I'd do research for her... find her a good small dog, a good breeder... etc.

BUT NOOOO

I think she paid like $1K too for it.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think you mean roundworms. No such thing as ground worms, unless you mean those little wiggly things that live in the earth. ;)

Frankly I don't think there is a lot they can do. They bought the puppy from a backyard breeder, therefore taking the puppy back and/or getting a refund are non-options. That just won't happen. They will have to chalk it up to lessons learnt as a result of their lack of research. Touch wood the pup won't develop any serious health problems, although I have no idea if Huskies as a breed are prone to same joint problems as Labs are. As they are designed to pull sleds my guess would be not, but I really don't know.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I forgot to add, as far as reporting them, I'm not sure who they intend on reporting them to. Unless the dogs/pups were in poor condition, sadly they aren't doing anything wrong in the eyes of the law.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts