Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to start a negative political debate but I just don't understand why no one is standing up and ending this stupid BS crap that started under Clinton's watch.

Rachel Maddow (yes very liberal and on MSNBC and we could debate her coverage of issues all day long but that's not the point in this thread) has done a good job (in my opinion) in highlighting the exceptional soldiers who are being discharged under this policy.

Victor Fehrenbach... highly decorated fighter pilot, 2 years away from being able to retire with full pension, has served this country well his entire adult life, has received a ton of medals... is being discharged.

Dan Choi... arabic linguist in the Army National Guard... is being discharged.

There are other examples... but these are the ones I've most paid attention to. I don't understand how anyone can think that these two men being gay is somehow more important than their dedicated service to our country. Don't we need heroic men like Fehrenbach and skilled arabic linguists like Choi?

On this topic, I'm not too pleased with Pres. Obama. He has yet to do anything about this, which is contrary to what he promised in his campaign. I can only hope that if there is enough uproar over it, something will be done.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I agree. We're wasting talented people who want to serve. People bitched when they integrated the services and yet the world did not end.

If I were an Obama fan, I'd be truly disappointed in him. He can change this, literally, with the stroke of a pen, and has chosen not to do so.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
His silence is curious. DADT was of a different age, seemingly. I think we've advanced as a country since then -- would like to hope that we have -- to hopefully move on to WGAC: Who Gives a Crap?

Obama's lack of any teeth toward Nancy Pelosi is also striking me as weird. This whole CIA/YouLied, YouLied/Waterboarding thing is just a MAJOR distraction that should be dropped. Washington, frankly, has more important things to do.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Definitely agree with you on this Linds. I'm puzzled why the big O hasn't addressed this. Actually just had a debate on this topic with an Episcopal minister yesterday. (he didn't agree with me.)

Dan--I think Obama needs to stuff a sock in Pelosi's mouth.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Politicians/talk show hosts I would be grateful to never hear their voices again...

Limbaugh
Pelosi
Cheney
Reid
Edwards (John)
Bachman (Michelle)

Speaking of "voices" that are on TV too much... get ready peeps... I'm about to say something nice about former Pres. Bush... WOW... kudos to him for how he's handled his "retirement"... I would have never guessed that Cheney would be out there all over the place and Bush would be mostly quiet after the inauguration.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
You can add that whiney Glenn Beck to the shaddup list.

And Anderson Cooper. And Al Franken while you're at it.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
His silence is curious. DADT was of a different age, seemingly. I think we've advanced as a country since then -- would like to hope that we have -- to hopefully move on to WGAC: Who Gives a Crap?
QUOTE]

I agree here. I just want the job done and done right. If a 7 armed zebra with a foot fetish can get the job done so be it. Do it.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can add that whiney Glenn Beck to the shaddup list.

And Anderson Cooper. And Al Franken while you're at it.
OOO.. good ones...

Though I don't really hear Al Franken that much... has he been on shows I don't watch or something?

Oh... Barney Frank! AAARRRGG... he was on Bill Maher's Real Time a few months ago and I was like... "OMG SHUTTUP" It doesn't even matter to me if I happen to agree with what he's saying at that particular moment... it's the **** way he says it and he's so repetitive I just winced every time he started talking.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Linds -- Considering an Arlen Specter-type party swap??

We Red Staters would have you.

Mape can stay w/the Blueys.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Linds -- Considering an Arlen Specter-type party swap??

We Red Staters would have you.

Mape can stay w/the Blueys.
Make Megan McCain the head of your party and you might have a sporting chance :p (Pro-sex, pro-gay marriage, etc.)

(OMG... did you see her on Colbert Report from Monday night... she was great!)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Pro-sex?

Sign me up!!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup.. watch it...

Pro-sex education... anti-abstinence only education...

I love her quote "I don't like to practice what I don't preach" A bit awkward... should have been "I practice what I preach"... or "I don't preach what I don't practice" (on Sex-Ed and talking about Bristol Palin) She got a bit red after that and said "oh god... my dad is gonna see that!" and Colbert was like "don't worry... I don't think he watches this show"

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Isn't she also pro-life? Not that that's counter to her stance on teaching about birth control. But it surprises me that you'd support someone w/a conservative's view of abortion.

Another voice in need of some duct tape: Ann Coulter.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I said you'd have a sporting chance... not that I support everything she does.

But someone who is both pro-life and anti-sex education is just insane in my book. I can deal with pro-life and pro-sex education combination... don't you and I get along for the most part Dan? ;)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
True 'nuff.

And there is always a bigger picture. I myself have said here that if President Obama can capture/kill Osama Bin Laden, he's my man for reelection in 2012.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
The McCain chick drives me crazy. She's done nothing except ride Dad's coat tails and all of a sudden she's supposed to be speaking for the party? If she cares that much, run for something, put your name on some legislation that shows us what you think, work your way up. No, she'd like to start at the top. I hate that. Ron Reagan Jr. on the other side is the same thing. Disagrees with everything his father stood for but is making a living trading on the name.

Geez, I hate all these people. I need to live in a country where all the commentators are the world weary, tired of the B.S., Brit Hume.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Politicians/talk show hosts I would be grateful to never hear their voices again...

Limbaugh
Pelosi
Cheney
Reid
Edwards (John)
Bachman (Michelle)

Speaking of "voices" that are on TV too much... get ready peeps... I'm about to say something nice about former Pres. Bush... WOW... kudos to him for how he's handled his "retirement"... I would have never guessed that Cheney would be out there all over the place and Bush would be mostly quiet after the inauguration.
I'm not, Bush never came across to me as a guy who lived and breathed politics. Especially during his last year or two, he looked like a guy who wanted nothing more than to get out. He looked either disinterested or miserable, maybe both.

I always cringe when Carter pretends he's still president and opens his mouth, but for some reason Cheney annoys me more. They both had pretty miserable terms, but I guess Carter gets a little bit of a pass because he's done some good post-presidency.

I think we have to keep Guantanamo open - and fill it with the people in your list, but only if we add Coulter.

Oh, and to the point of the thread, you're absolutely right. It's an idiotic policy and serves no purpose whatsoever. Until someone can show convincing proof that being gay makes you a poor soldier (or just admitting you're gay), then I'll continue to believe it's a waste of time and resources to maintain "Don't ask, don't tell."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts