Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traditionals, Baby-Boomers, X-Gens, Nex-ters.

8 hours worth of seminar today on "getting us together as a work force" and I still say (as most of the combo group of 30 some people), "How about just asking if someone could use some help? Here's what worked for me, want to try it? If it doesn't work you can alter it to suit your needs."

Wheeeeeeewwww! This thing was so tailored to corporate America rather than academia it was really, really trying. And wearying.

Even the "Nex-ters" didn't get the corporate jargon. Gina would have been in 7th Heaven with the work-speak.

We all participated well, though. And when it was all over we all went home.

Oh man... I am not used to this stuff.

:-\

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Ain't it the truth! Corporate America is even telling us what to do with those little early childhood babes! What the heck are they thinking by making education work like a business? Does this mean we get to "chuck" a product that doesn't meet standards??

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I feel for you Nance. SU has to do some of those talks ... and he is not sure what he is talking about! He hates it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Ilck, I can't stand the corporate workplace world! I had the opportunity to work at my company's corportate office for alot more money and I said "no thanks". I'm happy right here in our mfg. plant. :)

D

·
0 Posts
I hear ya! Fortunately my corporate office is 800 miles away, so I get small doses about every 6 months.

I love how everyone in the office gets on the bandwagon with the jargon du jour. Last meeting it was ---"drilling into the numbers" and "taking a high level view" and getting "stuck in the weeds". we field folk had several months of material making fun of the H.O. speak.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
tuckersmom said:
I never used to 'get' Dilbert cartoons until my current position. Now it's my life.
That's the truth! I used to hold management and all the upper echelon in high regard. I thought,wow these people didn't get to where they are by being idiots. News Flash!!!!!
Ummm..... some of these folks have to be reminded to breathe !

"People are promoted to their level of incompetance"

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, man, I hate corporate-speak too! I tell you what really bugs me...overhearing a conversation on the elevator, or in the lobby, that is peppered so heavily with these phrases I doubt either party has any idea what they are actually talking about.

YAWWWWWN...

Here is my most-hated graphic design speak phrase. Rather, its not used by designers so much as the people who are trying to communicate with designers. They heard it somewhere, it sounds cool, they feel hip when they say it, so out it comes, meaning absolutely nothing. And the phrase is:

"It needs to pop."

People use this for everything, usually referring to an entire piece. When asked what they think it should look like, this is how they respond. ::) They think that we come back and press a button on the computer that says "more pop," apparently. This is not good direction, people. Too broad. Too general. WHAT about it would you like to "pop?" Be more specific please. Brighter colors? Bolder fonts? More contrast?

Saying "It needs to pop," is sort of like saying, "It needs to be pretty." Oh-kay. What is "pretty" to you?

Ooops, I got on a soapbox, didn't I? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts