Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you guys are going to think I'm nutty but I thought this was pretty funny. I just finished reading "The Other End of the Leash" amazing book. So Bruce is learning "quiet" when he is a the window barking I say"quiet" and when he comes to me he gets a treat. It is working beautifully. I can now say "quiet " from any room in the house and he quits barking and comes running. The only thing I have to be careful of is where the treats are, if he knows I have them he bugs for them. The pants I was wearing yesterday had no pockets so I just tucked a liver treat in my bra strap (I thought problem solved). He didn't bark for the rest of the day. I forgot about the treats tucked safely away. When getting ready for bed the treats fell out of my bra and onto the floor Hubby says "What are those" so I told him the story. He just rolled his eyes I'm sure he thinks I'm loosing my mind.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
ROFLMAO !! That is too funny about the treats falling out of your bra ! Hey, what else, is a girl to do when she doesn't have pockets ?? Saying "quiet" makes a lot of sense..... because, if you say "NO BARKING!" what sort of mental picture is in your mind when you say that ? Go ahead, try it, close your eyes, and say NO barking ! What picture is in your mind ?? A dog barking, right ?? BUT when you say "quiet" what sort of emotions are you feeling ? More calm, peaceful....... just listen to the work when you say it........ I think it makes a lot more sense to say "quiet" than no barking......... and I'm glad it's working for you !

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's a classic!

I'm going to have to buy that book, what a great idea make them listen to 'quiet'!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
;D

How about this.. I had sophie in agility class, and I use a ball on a rope as a tug toy to motivate her. This particular one is really ratty and well used. We wrap up the class, and I stuff the rope through the back of my fanny pack.

I want to stay and watch my friend in the advanced class, so I run over to the convenience store for some juice, completely forgetting that I have a ratty old tennis ball on a purple fabric rope, hanging from my belt. Stopped to answer a girl's question about directions, and couldn't figure out why the cashier was giving me looks till I got back to the training hall....

·
Registered
886 Posts
That is so funny, my husband thinks I'm nuts all the time with the dogs so I can join your club right? Thanks for the laughs ;D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kaytris said:
;D

How about this.. I had sophie in agility class, and I use a ball on a rope as a tug toy to motivate her. This particular one is really ratty and well used. We wrap up the class, and I stuff the rope through the back of my fanny pack.

I want to stay and watch my friend in the advanced class, so I run over to the convenience store for some juice, completely forgetting that I have a ratty old tennis ball on a purple fabric rope, hanging from my belt. Stopped to answer a girl's question about directions, and couldn't figure out why the cashier was giving me looks till I got back to the training hall....
LOL that's too funny. I'm sure we all have stories about the crazy things we do. I highly recommend "the other end of the leash" Bruce responds beautifully to her training ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts