Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our annual title pin awards tonight at the club. I brought home pins for both boys CDs, which they earned last spring.

It has gotten me thinking how proud I am of them. To think these were two dogs that someone took to a shelter because they didn't want them. I can't even imagine - they are the light of my life.

And they go from an uncertain fate at the shelter to becoming titled obedience dogs. Very spoiled, catered to, all life revolves around them kind of dogs. LOL

I wonder sometimes what their previous owners might think if they knew what they had achieved.

Other times, I wonder if their previous owners even think of them at all.

I wish there was some way to convey to everyone that there are some really great dogs at the shelter. All they need is a little love, guidance and support.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Aww. That was great. You should be very proud of them, and of yourself, too, for all the great work you've done with them.

I'm imagining a tribute video in which the music swells as Connie, in slow motion, spits hot dog chunks into the ring attendant's hand. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Aww. That was great. You should be very proud of them, and of yourself, too, for all the great work you've done with them.

I'm imagining a tribute video in which the music swells as Connie, in slow motion, spits hot dog chunks into the ring attendant's hand. :)
LMAO!
I was getting all choked up until I read that! Thanks Nathan. I needed that laugh.

Connie....those boys are so lucky to have found a home with you. The world would be a better place with more people like you in it. Unfortunately the people throwing animals away far outnumber us. It would be wonderful if they could actually see your boys now....see just how amazing they have become with your love and support. Do I think that they ever think of them? Not likely. I believe most of the people that throw animals away are selfish idiots who think dogs are nothing more than some accessory...they are too busy thinking of themselves and what their next accessory will be.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
What a sweet post about your boys. You are a remarkable dog owner and I do wish there were more people out there like you and I, who loves animals for who they are accept their flaws and work with them! Your boys are special and I sure love hearing about them.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Well put, Connie.

We see this a LOT in obed classes: The rescue dog who turns out to be just aces. There's a golden right now (Carson) who's been coming for several years. Finally got cert'd as a therapy dog. He and his owner regularly visit an assisted living facility, where the elderly residents just gush.

Carson is wicked-smart. That boy will pick up the point of an exercise in seconds flat. One repetition, two tops, and he's aced it. Recall? Okey-doke, dad. Dumbbell? Yessir, pop! Scent articles? RRRReady!

I kid his owner that someday, Carson will be accurately filing their tax returns.

But I think all the time: Some chowderhead gave up that. Someone brought that into his/her home, experienced an epic fail for godknows whatever reason, and decided to walk away. Looked into that fuzzy handsome face, the bright eyes, the eager stance, the ears-up enthusiasm and said: no thanks.

It just amazes me. Who could do that??

Anyway, bless the rescuers. Carson and Simon and Angus and all the other pals who have been successfully and lovingly re-homed are all the better for it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i too was choking up! It gets me so angry that people can get rid of their dogs. Since the moment i lay eyes on my pup i make a lifetime commitment and promise to them... People that let these dogs go really says a lot about them... ANYWAY
I always believe that you get the dog that you need, and these boys of yours were destined to be with you so what ever happend in the past had to happend for them to be this big part of you.

I congratulate you on your achievements.. it's a lot more then a cd and thats what makes it so special. You can tell that you've worked hard and never gave up... Great to hear that the journey has only begun for you guys!!! cant wait to hear about the future titles!!!!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Aww. I couldn't agree more, Connie. It's really amazing how much a little love and elbow grease can transform a shelter dog into a titled obedience dog! :)

My Abbey girl, who was dropped off with the rest of her litter at the humane society, is now working towards being a little agility speedster. And Kolby, ohhhh Kolby, was found by animal control as a stray and no one came to claim him. He was about to be PTS when he was rescued, treated for heartworms and wrecked up his foster mom's house and jumped the fence, too.

I wish I could show the a$$holes who didn't care enough how truly great these dogs are.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
***Hijack***

Deanna -- If your post count is accurate, you're relatively new.
Just want to say that I LOVE the name Apple! I've trained dogs for years and can honestly say I've never met an Apple!
Have met a TON, however, of the Buddys, Scouts, Cocos, Sunnys, Maxes, Mollys, and Jakes. Not that there's anything wrong w/them.

Anyway, I give a nod to your uniqueness.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

LOL! hahahaha - OMG...that would be so not pretty in slow motion.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aw, thanks you guys! Your posts are making me choke up too! (Well, except for Nathan's, which made me choke in another way).

I just love hearing the happy ending stories. I wish there would be happy endings for all, but until then it really makes you feel good to know that there are some dogs out there who hit the owner jackpot and end up with people like you.

Dan, I love what you wrote about Carson. Doesn't that just make you wonder? Exactly: Who could walk away from that? That's just how I feel about the boys.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well said Connie - I doubt the previous owner ever gives them a thought but what a blessing for you and for them that they have a forever home with you. Bless all the people who rescue dogs, take them in and love them. I can't imagine my life without Abbey and Coco. They are the joy of my life but don't tell my grandkids that! I have to admit, grandkids are awesome too! :angel:

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Your boys are so lucky you made them your life. On the other-hand, you are so lucky to have them too. Their previous owners, do not know what they missed and that's too bad. If they only knew what potential, if only all people took the time to realize the potential their animals had, if they would take time to actually KNOW them, they would be less willing to give them up. But because of those people you have two wonderful boys and you wouldn't change that for anything.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your boys are so lucky you made them your life. On the other-hand, you are so lucky to have them too. Their previous owners, do not know what they missed and that's too bad. If they only knew what potential, if only all people took the time to realize the potential their animals had, if they would take time to actually KNOW them, they would be less willing to give them up. But because of those people you have two wonderful boys and you wouldn't change that for anything.
That is so true - that luck works both ways! How many dreams I have gotten to play out because of them. :)

Also so true, and sad, that the majority of people don't really ever get to know their dogs. It's hard to really do this right, too...sometimes I still feel like I don't know them as well as I should. Sometimes I miss stress signals or misinterpret them, and I learn new things about them all the time. It's really a continual process. But I guess that's maybe what a lot of people don't realize...that it is a lifetime commitment to constant learning on everybody's part. They will always show you something new. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.