Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Princess is really having a hard time getting up and down and I have tried so many different supplements to help her with nothing working for her. I can't watch her struggle with this any longer so we are going into the vet to get her some Riamdyl or Dermaxx today. I did not want to put her on this but my wants don't seem really important when I see my precious pup struggling. Say a prayer if you will that she will be doing better soon.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I hope they help and there are no side effects. So far Tank has not had good luck with any of the anti-inflamatorys. He gets diarrhea after a week or so. We may end up trying them again if things get bad. So far he is managing on pain killer (Tramadol) and a once a month Adaquan injection along with his glucosimine and ester C supplements.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Hey, I've heard good things about Adequan. Have you tried that one yet?

Bless your heart, I know how hard it is to see them struggling and having a hard time. I'm not sure what I'd do, but I know it would be a huge priority to try to find something to help. I hope that whatever you do, does. Good luck at the vet! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Sending good thoughts that you find something that helps.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vet wants us to try Deramaxx, so that is where we are at. I gave it to her with her food when we got home. Fingers cross that this will help and not have side effects. I have just felt like crying all day. I hate to see her hurt. I tried so hard to fix it but I could not. Maybe this is the answer. Arthritis sucks!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My beautiful Caleb (now gone from Cancer) did very well on Rimadyl until the Cancer got him. It greatly improved his quality of life. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My yellow is 11 years old and he just keeps rallying, he is on a Tramadol and Rimadyl combination (try just the tramadol first to see if that helps and you can get that filled at your local pharmacy). Indy has been on this combination for 7 years now. The best advice I can give is to make sure you get blood work done, we usually do this every four months. Some dogs can handle these meds and some dont, but for those that can, like my Indy, without them he'd have to be PTS because his arthritis is so bad. Good luck, I hope you have the best results possible.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. She has actually felt better today. We are trying the deramaxx for 2 weeks. If it makes a big difference I will make a decision to stay on it long term or to try something else. If it works, my decision is already made. I cannot stand to see her hurting. It just breaks my heart. The look in her eyes says help me mama and dab blame it I am going to help her not to hurt. If we decide to stay on this med the vet will do blood work to make sure she can tolerate it. So today things look a little better...not great but I had to make her get away from the window and stop barking at nothing.....somehow it wasn't really so annoying when she did it today...

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Boomer lived an additional 3 years on Rimadyl. Sometimes you just need to do what you need to do.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
The only thing that helps Ernie is Adequan every month.
Before his gut issues Metacam worked really well.

I can feel your pain. For years I have tried everything for Erns and seeing them sore is heart breaking.
I also have a warm coat on him at night or when it is cold and keep him moving regularly. If he sits too long he seizes up. Swimming is the best, but no always possible.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Good thoughts for Princess. Rimadyl gave my Ginger several extra years. I know without it we would have had to put her down.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
It's hard to see them struggle. Jazzy is on Deramaxx and Tramadol as needed. She seems to feel better, but some days acts sluggish. That worries me, just like the limping does. We go back soon for blood work. Good thoughts that the meds give Princess relief.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I don't know why you feel like you are giving in by giving her medication? To me quality of life is ALWAYS better than quantity, so I will opt to do what I can and use whatever meds I need to for my animals... and me too.

Hang in there. I hope your dog gets some needed pain relief.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts