Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
but Remi is being a real stinker with little Rusty. We are at a loss to figure out why.

Rusty was whelped 12-14-09 so tomorrow will be his 2 month B-day. Remi turned 5 in September. She LOVES other dawgs, always has. Every single dawg that's come to our home (maybe a dozen and primarily yellow) have been instant buddys with her. After the first few seconds of precautionary sniffing, they romp, play, select toys for keep-away and tug-of-war, etc. Most have played bitey face with Remi the very first meeting. Cappy and Remi have never had a cross word and I even wondered if Remi had the ability to growl.

In anticipating how Rusty would be accepted and get along with Cappy and Rem, we assumed that with Cappy being older and just having had surgery, he might not be his normal tolerant self, especially with a rambunctious new pup. To our delight, Cappy is a Jewel with him. Patient, tolerant and almost loving as if he was his natural mother by allowing licking, nibbling and cuddling. He sniffs his fur, gently rolls him over with his muzzle and even cleans his face.

Remi on the other hand ... what a pisser! (that's farm talk for not-so-nice.) She is very stand-offish with Rusty. Immediately pulls away when he comes up to her and has just now started a little growling when he tries to climb up or otherwise touch her. No snarls or curled lip but a clear short warning growl. She'll tolerate going in and out through doors together and even drinking from the same large water bowl. But no touchy-feely-play things, thank you.

We introduced them at the breeders home originally. They all made the hour car ride home together without incident. Pup rode in Carol's lap. We assumed that we've have to watch Remi carefully for a different reason because she loves to play with other dawgs and can be a bit rough at times. After all, she's grown up matching strength tests with Cappy. As soon as we came into our home, Remi went immediately into avoidance mode. We haven't forced togetherness believing that they would sort it out. Even when one of us is "loving on" Rusty, the other is petting Remi and telling her how good a girl she is so there's no "left-out" feelings created. She watches Cappy and Rusty together and sees how tolerant Cappy is. The three eat almost side by side in separate bowls and there's no attempted theft or other challenges happening. When the big ones get their animal cracker treat, a smaller piece is given to Rusty and he gobbles it with great relish a mere few feet from the big ones.

It's only been 3-1/2 days but I'm beginning to have doubts that Remi will "sort-it-out" on her own. I'm positive that if Rusty was close to full size they would be great play pals. But what the heck are we going to do to get to that point in the next 8-9 months?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
It's normal Jim. Take Remi out by herself and do something with her without the puppy. She's reacting to the newcomer no differently than a child might to a new baby. Usually if you allow them to work it out and take alone time with the one with its nose out of joint, then things settle down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When we brought Huck home almost the same thing happened. Beau our oldest was his immediate friend...Luke took alittle longer to warm up. Never any growling or anything just kinda a watch and observe and if Huck came to him that was ok but Luke didn't seek Huck out. After a couple days Luke was fine roping, playing, letting Huck crawl all over him. But Josie now was a different story. She took an immediate dislike to Huck..Growling, snappping at him. She had her own invisible line of personal space and if Huck crossed it she would put him in his place. Many times Huck went away tail tucked, yelping...she NEVER hurt him just his feelings. I thought too oh my gosh she is never going to accept him. I would scold her when she would do these things but I also just let them work it out. She would have never tolerated drinking from the same bowl...but as Huck got bigger she began to let him into her personal space then as time went on he could touch her without her snapping and getting up and leaving the room to now they romp and play and curl up together...I guess she just didn't like puppies...all this took months to accomplish but I really just let Josie have her space and Huck learned who to play with and when to back off. If she shares eating space and drinking together I think she just needs more time.

On another note...I think Rusty is adorable...he actually reminds me more of a golden retriever than lab. He looks alot like my Beau when he was a puppy. Good wishes and I think they will all be fine!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On another note...I think Rusty is adorable...he actually reminds me more of a golden retriever than lab. He looks alot like my Beau when he was a puppy. Good wishes and I think they will all be fine!
I guess it's time for me to "Fess Up"

Rusty's parents and maternal grandparents. His paternal grandparents, full blooded Black and Yellow Labs, are not in the picture.

Please keep in mind that Rusty is CAROL'S pup. When we married in 1989, Carol was 42 and had raised poodles all her life. She graciously accepted only gun dawgs thereafter and fell in love with both pointing breeds, Labs and hunting.

It's time for another pup in our life but it wouldn't be fair to another Lab since it couldn't have a full hunting career based upon my health and age. So Carol was the one to choose the next breed since it would most likely be a "house dog" primarily. Labs and Poodles are still her favorites and a combination of the two was her choice after a lot of breeder research. Who knows, he might even be a duck dawg too.

:love:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Rusty IS adorable!

When we got #3, our "middle" dog's (Riley) nose was bent wayyy out of shape. He loves all dogs, of every shape and size. It took him a few weeks to settle down and accept her into the pack.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Well THAT explains it - Remi is just a little miffed that you did that :) Maybe she doesn't like poodles! (Emilu has a instant dislike towards certain breeds - but they are all "little fluffy dogs). I really think that it well just take some time. If they are eating and drinking in close proxmity, and there are just warning growls, etc. I would let them work it out on their own. Just watch very carefully to make sure it doesn't escalate into a more physical reaction. Pups a cute little stinker though

·
Registered
457 Posts
when we brought toby home 4 weeks ago, abby, our oldest, acted very much like remi ...............didn't want anything to do with him and didn't want us or max to have anything to do with him ..............wasn't mean .........didn't hurt him ..........just did her best to avoid him ................now she is just as good as max with him ............even rolls over on her back to make it easier for him to play bitey face with her ..............so give remi some time ....................

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Remi will be fine in time. She just needs some quality time with just you to give her a little space away from the puppy. Rusty is adorable though. I thought maybe the lab side was a dark yellow or fox red because of his coloring but I can see it is probably a dark apricot from the poodle side. He could be a very good hunter. If I remember correctly standard poodles were used for hunting "back in the day". Tell Carol congratulations too. She picked a little cutie!

·
Registered
294 Posts
We just went thru it. Toby's been here a month today and for the first two weeks Abby (6) did the growl and snarl. She would also get as far away from the pup as she could on the bed. Now we're all one big happy family. We did give Abby some extra attention (as if that's possible).

Oops...just saw rooky's post ^. Nevermiind!!

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
It's normal Jim. Take Remi out by herself and do something with her without the puppy. She's reacting to the newcomer no differently than a child might to a new baby. Usually if you allow them to work it out and take alone time with the one with its nose out of joint, then things settle down.

Good suggestion from Laura, as usual. :smile:

Mick enjoyed having the Rott and Golden we used to babysit (seperately) come to vist. However, after 24 hours, his nose was clearly out of joint, and he'd start sulking. Caleb got the same way the last time my sister stayed overnight with her Golden. Give Remi time, and some one on one attention, and she'll come around.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Our miniature poodle (when I was growing up) was an amazing retriever. A bit obsessed about retrieving actually. Neither my first Lab (who was 1/2 field bred), nor my current girl (bench bred) was/is particularly interested. :)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Perfectly normal, though I'd correct it, knock wood, I've never had this problem, but we have puppies in and our of here on a rather constant basis.. Don't allow Remi to go any further than a growl, but don't correct the growl, you don't want her just to lunge without warning.

She'll come around, puppies are annoying and she is female.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
:sorry: Jim,,,, so sorry about the "were" part of standard poodles being hunters. Thanks for the link - I have never known any hunters with poodles and I have been around hunting all my life. That's what I get for believing dog show announcers when they talk about what dogs were bred for originally and what they are mostly used for or doing now. My Mother's two poodles were never good retrievers (both miniture size). They were more interested in playing with other toys, begging for whatever my Dad was eating, etc. Very cute but far from hunters..... I hope you can get Rusty out with Remi and Cappy as soon as he is ready. Do you have dove, quail or pheasants where you are? My hubby is always impressed at your duck and goose pictures. We don't have any worthwhile duck hunting close to us. We grew up in Northern CA where there are a lot of duck clubs and the SF Bay had great hunting back in our "day" circa 1950-1970s. We are a little on the gray side ourselves. :wave:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't be silly ... I was just teasing you.

In 1998 Carol and I formed the Las Vegas Hunting Retriever Club with five other people. We were affiliated with both NAHRA and AKC from the get go. Before Cappy arrived on the scene I wanted to make sure I had the fundamentals of retriever training and handling understood since my prior 40 years were with pointing breed dawgs. Looking around for a club revealed that the closest were in Reno, Phoenix and Los Angeles. Way too far for frequent training groups. So we searched and found another dozen or so Lab owners who hunted and decided to form a Club.

Carol and I formed the corporation and we served on the board for the first three years. Carol was Club and Hunt Test Secretary and I was a director and published the news letter. I was a member of the Nevada Wildlife Board, Operation Game Thief and was very active in Ducks Unlimited. Those organizations provided lots of statewide contacts for us to get the word out and the club up and running quickly.

Our monthly group training days brought enthusiastic and increasing turnouts. Individual members also met up with others during the month for more one-on-one training help. That's when I first saw a Standard Poodle doing "Lab work". Any subdued laughter or negative observations quickly disappeared when five of us "Lab guys" stood there with our jaws on the ground as we watched not one ... but two Standard poodles run 150 yard blind retrieves and 100yard double water marks cleanly and about as well as it can be done!

Out first NAHRA Hunt Test had three Poodles and a Nova Scotia Toller entered and all four did passing quality work. Never again have I laughed at "Non-Labs" doing retriever work. It was my ignorance of the other breeds that was laughable. We have no delusions about what Rusty may turn into. If he showns an interest, desire and some promise as a field Lab and duck dawg, that'll be great. If he's "merely" a good citizen at home then that will be just fine too. He's already displaying a bright and affectionate personality and he's a "faster learner" than either Cappy or Remi at the same age. I'm astounded how fast he learned to go to the door for potty and thus far, in 4 days, we have yet to have our first opps in the house. Carol claims that's the Poodle influence and her extarordinarily uncanny skills at picking pups.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
when I brought Homer home I actually had the opposite reaction. Misha was all over him trying to play and he did not want anything to do with her, he was even aggressive towards her and on occassions I had to stop Misha from being such a bully (never with bad intentions though, but she used to play very rough with my brother´s golden). Took sometime for lil Homer to figure it out, but they did adjust and now are just inseparable.

I don´t support fashion dogs but admit being a sucker for golden -poodle mixes... they look so funny, all scruffy and are such cuddle bugs...

I bet you can definitely work with that dog, especially if the parents come from field lines

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Ruger was the same way with Remington. I didn't think he would ever allow Remington near him. If Remington so much as touched him (Ruger) he got up and left the room. It was awful. And it lasted about six months. One night, just all of a sudden, Ruger initiated play... much to the delight of Remington. They get along well now. Remington totally idolizes his big brother.

Magnum and Remington hit it off from the get go. She's the alpha ***** and he knows it and they play HARD.

It will all come together. Give it time.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I think it took a month or so before Tank did not try to kill Orson every time he bothered him. There were quite a few bloody noses in the first few weeks. Now they are best buds. Still bitety face but cuddle together after they are done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts