Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

I'm looking for people to talk me out of an opportunity thats arisen.
My current car is starting to show the signs of wear and tear (Its old enough to vote and get drunk here in Australia - made in '88) but it'll easily hold on for a while yet.

Another car has become available that's caught my interest as a side project / weekender. Its the sports model in the same type as mine (I've got the 'Grandma" model), similar age, and its in decent condition.
The fella that currently owns it brought it some 6 months ago looking to turn it into a tarmac / rally car, but found that working 6+ days a week left him with no time to work on it. And he's just got a job interstate.

The price on it is really good, he's said he'll let it go for $1500 (The car is worth ~$4k if sold privately) and should I decide to not go ahead with the project, the parts on the car could easily be sold to get the purchase money back, and then some.

So, what's stopping me?
- The car has been stolen before (So that's about $800-1k for a fitted security system which would go in anyway)
- It's currently on a defect notice for being too low and too loud (New muffler would set me back $200, raising the car back to legal levels might be $500)
The car probably wouldn't be registered for a while, as it could take some time for me to arrange to get the gear fitted, so there's some initial savings.
Storeage won't be a problem, as it can stay in the garage, and mine would be parked out the front of my place. At worst it'd be stored somewhere in town, which wouldn't cost that much.
The rest of my family aren't too thrilled with the idea (And I value their opinions a lot) but just about everyone else has given the idea the green light (Some have said that if I don't go for it, they will)

So, what I'm after is reasons why you think this wouldn't be a good idea.
I'm stuck on the fence, and looking for opinions that will help me decide each way.

Thanks,

Pottsie

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
So long as you keep Robert.. he's a bit of a legend around here =)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G'day,

Thanks for the replies.

kelli said:
So long as you keep Robert.. he's a bit of a legend around here =)
Oh yeah, Robert will be kept on the roads for as long as I can, he's got plenty of life left yet.
I'll eventually clean him up and post photos and an update.

Cheers,

Pottsie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts