Just Labradors banner

I'm a bad, bad dog mom!!

1K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  WeHeartLabs 
#1 ·
Oh lah, Henery's poor little ears!!

I was at a continuing ed course today (woohoo, root canals!! ;D) and had arranged for my dad to come by at lunchtime to let Henery out and for some lovin's.

I remembered to unlock our tricky back door (it will open if you just turn the knob from the inside, but still be locked on the outside... I didn't want him and Henery locked out of the house!).

I remembered to make Henery a special Kong that Gpa would give him, filled with granny smith apple chunks, his favourite homemade liver oatmeal treats and a smear of PB.

I remembered to leave my dad a note as to such Kong, and that Henery could enjoy it on his bed, that he didn't have to go in his crate.

I even remembered to set the alarm as I left (2nd nature).

I completely forgot that I wasn't supposed to set the alarm (my dad doesn't have the alarm code).

Well, you can all guess what happened!! Gpa tripped the alarm, then tried frantically to turn off the alarm at the keypad, then tripped the alarm again when he exited the back door with Henery, then tripped the alarm again coming back inside, and then, one last time, as he left.

Our alarm is really high-pitched and shrill to no end. It makes ME want to run from the house, let alone a burglar. It was, apparently, still going off when my dad left, and wouldn't have been turned off by ADT until the police arrived and did their check.

Henery's poor baby ears!! I'm a bad BAD dog mom!! :(

HENERY: Hey labra-pals!! That was way kewl! What an exciting day I had!! First Gpa came over to visit, and then the policemens came to my house!! They even jimmied our back gate to get into our yard! I gots to watch them walk all around my yard... I wonders if they were looking for them pesky squirrels that I love to chase? I was really hoping that they would turn that Awful Noise off!! They looked around some more and then one of thems talked into a black box and then the Noise stopped. I LOVES policemens!

Moms, why are my ears still ringing?? (psst... I think some steak would help... yeah, I really do... ;))

See less See more
#7 ·
Felicia,
do the police automatically go to the house if the alarm isn't turned off in a certain amount of time?

By then Henry was in the house, yes? I wonder if he barked at the officers. And how did they police know there was nobody in the house except Henery?

oy...I have so many questions. Wish you lived next door so we could chat about it this evening.

:D

#8 ·
I wished I lived next door too, Linda, cuz that would mean we lived in Hawaii-lands!! ;D

Okay, so this is what happens...

The alarm gets tripped.

ADT calls the house to see if it was tripped accidentally. I've done it myself in the mornings in my half-awakened state letting Henery out and forgetting to turn the alarm off first.

If someone is home and answers the phone and gives the correct password, the alarm is silenced.

If no one was home, ADT would then dispatch police/fire (if it was the fire alarm that was activated) and call me at my office to let me know that the alarm was going off.

My brother and my dad are both on the List of peeps to call, should the alarm company not be able to reach me, as was the case today (I was in the middle of a continuing ed course, with my cell phone turned off).

The police do a perimeter check of windows and doors (I'm impressed that London Police went into the backyard... Niagara Regional never did).

Henery was alone in the house by this time (my dad was gone) and probably would have been barking his fool head off at the officers. LOL!

I suppose, a clever thief would have locked all the windows and doors again, and hidden out of sight, until the police left? ??? I don't think they can enter the premises unless there is cause.

You know why I got the alarm?? My biggest fear is fire, and my most horrible deathly fear is that Henery will be stuck in the house in a fire. :'( I guess I only needed a centrally monitored fire alarm but hey, windows and doors work for me too. ;)

I suspect that I will be charged (by London Police) for a false alarm... I can't remember if the first offence is free, or not. ::)

#9 ·
Thanks for explaining.

You know why I got the alarm?? My biggest fear is fire, and my most horrible deathly fear is that Henery will be stuck in the house in a fire. I guess I only needed a centrally monitored fire alarm but hey, windows and doors work for me too.
I remember how you feel about fire. I hope you never have to experience it. Burglars too. You, and Henery. Give the boy a hug from Zoe & me. :)

#10 ·
henrysmom said:
You know why I got the alarm?? My biggest fear is fire, and my most horrible deathly fear is that Henery will be stuck in the house in a fire.
That is a huge fear of mine, too. I thought I was the only one!

Our security system does not do fire, but I assume that when the firemen break down the door, it will set off the house alarm and call us. It was just too expensive to have them rewire everything to include fire. :(

#11 ·
Oooh, I'm feeling better. I thought I was the only one paranoid about fire!! *phew!*

Gawd, I don't even want to think about what if...

Jenn, at our old house, the alarm company hardwired their own fire alarm in when the installed the rest of our system... that would have been a nightmare in our current (120 yr old) home!! My new system is wireless, fire alarm included. Wonder if they could add that to yours maybe?

#12 ·
Hey Henery,

Hold out for that steak man...or something better like leg of lamb. Boy do I love that leg of lambs on the BBQ thing that spins around. I lay outside and just niff till it is done. Mom cooked Pa and I one last night and tonight I had left overs. Mom and Ma don't like lamb so they went out for smelly Mexican Food. They don't know what they is missing.

Glad your ears are ok but remember now you can ignore mom when she tell you to do something cause you cannot hear. That is way cool my friend.

Cinnamon

#14 ·
Poor Henery! I know when our little beep beep beep one goes off when I have done a rotten job cooking, mine get the dazed and frantic look and that is momentary (until I remember I can't cook and stop! ;) ) I can't imagine what they would do if that sound was continuous and accompanied by someone in their back yard!

#16 ·
henrysmom said:
My brother and my dad are both on the List of peeps to call, should the alarm company not be able to reach me, as was the case today (I was in the middle of a continuing ed course, with my cell phone turned off).
Just curious....If your dad is one of your contact people does he not need to have your alarm code and password? That way he could have turned the alarm off immediately and then answered the phone, given the password, and saved you a police charge. That's the way it works here.

#18 ·
Just curious....If your dad is one of your contact people does he not need to have your alarm code and password? That way he could have turned the alarm off immediately and then answered the phone, given the password, and saved you a police charge. That's the way it works here
Well, that would have worked had he answered the phone. ;) But alas, in his frazzled and panicked state...

heehee Melissa... we must have both gone to the same cooking school? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.