Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not the Bill Engvall type LOL.

When Ike was a pup he had a spinal injury and his left side doesn't work so good. His front paw is like a club foot. When he walks he tends to pick up his rear leg higher, I think to compensate for his club foot. Sometimes he'll fold his club foot under and it looks really weird. He's not in any pain and gets extra glucosime cause I'm sure arthritis will set in soon.

With that established, we went to a BBQ last weekend and there were a few new people there I didn't know. Nor did they know Ike. We were all hanging out having fun when all of a sudden this lady starts screaming, "OMG that dog's foot is broken!!! OMG someone help!!!" Everybody turns around to look. There's Ike just hanging out, chewing on a burger with his foot folded under. This lady was really freaked out! Ike didn't pay her any attention. I called him over and of course had to explain to all the newbies what was up.

Maybe it would be easier to just hang a sign around his neck.

Afterwards we played a game of fetch. Ike can run like the wind and hardly ever missed a catch. Everyone was very impressed with the way he over comes his handicap, especially when he's running. Man, I love my Ikey boy.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
How lucky he is to have such a loving home a lot of people wouldn't want a handicapped dog. It sounds like he is anything but handicapped. What a sweet boy. Post some pics of him, he sounds wonderful!!!

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Awww, Ike. Do you have any pictures of your boy you could share?

Sounds like the woman is the one who needs the sign. "Warning: Screaming Ignoramus."

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Not the best pic, but it's what I have available.

Same type of thing happened last night while we were sitting on the porch getting some sun. A gal was out walking her dogs and says:

Her: What happened to your dogs foot?
Me: Spinal injury as a pup.
Her: It's remarkable the way he has overcome his handicap
Me: Yup, he's got alot of spirit.
Her: He's a wonderful dog!
Me: (beaming) Thank you!!

Can't help but love him. He makes me smile everyday.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Hugs to Ike. Maybe he needs a spiffy new vest with some inspiring words on it. I bet someone at JL could come up with some good wording. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts