1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I will watch it tonight. Utube blocked at the office. Thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Just watched over lunch time. It really shows how unethical some people are. I am actually a current victim of these things. A year ago Homer was a show prospect, son of an International Ch... he had surgery on his elbows on tuesday and has a heart murmur... Interestingly the main reason I got him was because both his parents were checked for HD and ED and still he got it. Now I know he´s not the only one in his bloodline with both ED and heart murmurs, a cousin of him also has both. I am so dissapointed and sorry for him, he´s undet pain now recovering from a surgery that doesn´t guarantee he´s going to well from now on.

Years ago when I had my Great Dane I never understood why Merles could not be registered or bred when they are 100% full blooded Danes, but more interestingly in all breedings of harlequins and blacks there are always Merle pups. These Merles if bred will also always produce harlequins and blacks that could become chs! It is ridiculous.

I know that there are also good honest and ethic breeders that will definitely look at the health of their dogs and will never breed dogs with deseases of that inherit them. The video doesn´t show any though

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poor Homer, I know you can never rule it out completely but alot of them do not care if they care a gene for disease or not :(

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Bad hips/elbows can happen even with the best intentions. Sad but true. Even with all the health testing we have it is all a crap shoot. I feel terrible you have to go through this stuff with Homer but I hope you don't fault all breeders. As for the murmur I don't know much about that when it comes to Labs unless your talking TVD. Sadly for TVD there has not been much as far as studies to know how it works. Some, if not most breeders test for it but I suppose it can still happen.
As for Merle danes. There is good reason they are not part of the standard. The Merle gene also carries along with it some SERIOUS health risks and concerns especially when you are not aware of coat color in your lines and your are doubling up on it. Breeders can test for it.

I have not watched the program yet.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alot of the programme is about inbreeding Kim and people more interested in showing etc :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
part way through. already i see a trend in bashing dog show and blaming them when they really give some misinformation as to the reason they first started. just stating it was bored housewives looking for something to do.
they blame breeders and dog shows but they don't state where these dogs they are showing with all these illnesses come from? I mean, the UK has puppy mills too. "Pedigree" dogs means purebred....nothing else. Forget that breeders and breed clubs are the ones for the most part who fund health research for their breeds.
This entire film has a very PETA-like feel to it..even bringing up Hitler!
I think that saying mutts are healthier is very bogus.
Talking about HOW inbreed these dogs are is also bogus. Yes some breeders use line breeding....and do it closely....yet most of the most unhealthy, dysplastic purebreds i see are results of BYB who have totally outcrossed lines.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Unfortunately PETA is promoting this and using this as ammo against breeders. All breeders.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
We're dealing with genes here. Despite the fact that both parents were cleared for ED and CHD, it doesn't guarantee that none of the offspring will develop a problem. There are no guarantees when you deal with genes. Some lines are more susceptible than others, but EVERYONE who has bred has developed a problem. If any breeder ever says they are problem free, they are either lying or haven't been breeding long enough.

Since there are no guarantees, it's what happens WHEN a problem occurs that separates the responsible breeders from the irresponsible ones. Notice I said WHEN not IF.

Nothing is ever black and white when breeding animals. There are only shades of gray.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
We're dealing with genes here....Nothing is ever black and white when breeding animals. There are only shades of gray.
so true...my rottweiler had OFA good parents, and grandparents, but he has mild HD. Can't predict genes.

But I think it is a good to educate the public...if we want healthy pets we need to demand the breeders to health test, then at least our chances of inherited disease go down. I am a little appalled how some breeds look so deformed and to not have any purpose than to win ribbons in the show ring. It makes me sad.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Many dogs' only purpose is to be pets these days. So should we get rid of them? Stop breeding them?

I produced severe CHD with parents were who both OFA Excellent out of OFA Excellent parents. It happens and there isn't a whole lot we can do about it as of right now.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
That documentary or whatever you want to call it is the reason Crufts wasn't televised this year and what PETA was using to try and get Westminster not televised. Thankfully USA Network basically told PETA to go screw themselves. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts